PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking . . . or not!

bobbyj
04-15-2015, 09:51 PM
Was window shopping in a LGS here and I came across a Savage Model 14/114 in .243 that had three things I always wanted in a rifle - a left-hand bolt action, a walnut stock and .243 caliber. Always liked the classic look. The wood was surprisingly pretty, the checkering was crisp for what it is, and the action was smooth and it fit me so . . . I let the salesperson 'talk' me into putting it on layaway. I only wish it was one of the rifles offered in the $100 off sale but at $749, it's not unbearably expensive for me.

I would have liked a heavy barrel but again, being a southpaw has its limitations and I figured having this was better than not having it. So, I'll shoot it til the barrel is done and think about a rebuild after I have some time with it as is. The accutrigger is nice so I plan on enjoying this new addition and hopefully get to try it out on varmints as well as at the range. More than likely it will be sporting Vortex glass in the 12X range; I have a couple of these scopes and they are an awesome value for the money.

This is my first 110 series rifle, although I have an R93/17GVL and have owned Savage rimfires and shotguns in the past. Are there any things, tips, opinions any of you can express as to this particular model has to offer. Thanks in advance.

bobbyj

jonbearman
04-15-2015, 10:49 PM
One tip: clean the barrel good before firing. Break it in with frequent cleans with copper removing types like Montana extreme 50 bmg solvent. I clean and shoot 3 and repeat 3 times and then 3 , 5 shot groups and clean and done. Then just clean it when accuracy starts to suffer at least.If stored for long periods, clean it well and use a bore guide and then oil bore.When you go to shoot it dry patch the oil out.

bobbyj
04-16-2015, 06:52 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll make certain I pay close attention to cleaning the bore. I have a close friend who also has a .243 and he said the same thing. As long as I keep it clean, it should make me very happy with tight groups. I'm excited to finally own a classic Savage rifle.

What do you think of bore snakes for in-the-field cleaning? I use them on my R93/17GVL and on my Stag AR-15 and they seem to work well in the field.

bobbyj

Mach2
04-16-2015, 09:14 AM
That is a high priced rifle for a Savage but that beautiful stock is what you paid extra for. You could have bought a crappy plastic stock for a lot less and then ordered an aftermarket guality grain walnut stock for $225. The Savage Classic 14/114 series are fine examples of old world hunting rifles. Ten years from now you will still admire this rifle every time you see it out the safe but you won't remember the price.

barrel-nut
04-16-2015, 01:12 PM
Those are beautiful rifles from a manufacturer not noted for producing pretty guns. I really like them. The price you paid is not out of line either. As Mach2 said, you'll enjoy the rifle long after the sting of the price is gone.

bobbyj
04-16-2015, 07:06 PM
I just sold a house so this is kind of my little reward for getting the deal done - of course, the little princess gets a round-trip ticket to Greece but I think we both came out happy to have the old house sold. I'm just old school as they come. When I smoked and drank, I learned how to appreciate a good double maduro cigar with the right bourbon and that taste was only part of the experience. Now that those vices are but fond memories, I know I will have many moments when I'll just be sittin' by the fire, rubbing down that wood stock and plan the next trip to the range or the woods and reminding myself that this rifle will last a whole lot longer than $700 worth of tobacco and whiskey!

bobbyj

devildogandboy
04-16-2015, 11:02 PM
that model 14 will keep you happy for a looooong time to come. whenever i saw one on the rack i always had to fondle it, nicest looking gun they make, just couldn't justify spending that kind of money and taking out into the wilderness and getting it scratched. wish you good shooting!

Bruce

bobbyj
04-25-2015, 05:48 PM
that model 14 will keep you happy for a looooong time to come. whenever i saw one on the rack i always had to fondle it, nicest looking gun they make, just couldn't justify spending that kind of money and taking out into the wilderness and getting it scratched. wish you good shooting!

Bruce

Scratches just add character and are marks that allow you to remember when you were out enjoying it.

bobbyj

handirifle
04-27-2015, 01:43 AM
Bobby as an Ohio born and raised kid, I never understood why Ohio has no restriction on guns for varmints like coyotes or fox, but for deer it's shotgun only. I know the rifles carry far enough to be dangerous a county away, but why they make it ok for other critters, I don't get.

CA has similar rules. In certain counties, I can NOT shoot a rabbit with anything other than shotgun or pellet gun, but in the same county I can, and HAVE hunted coyotes with any centerfire rifle I choose. I even asked a game warden if he knew why, and he had no explanation either.

Congrats on the new rifle, enjoy the Savage. The 243 is one accurate little caliber. If you go after yotes with it, a 75gr Vmax will turn them inside out. I shot one using an 85gr Sierra BTHP and it left a hole I could stick my fist into. That was at 250yds.

But if ya have farm or cattle to defend from yotes, it will take them down as far as you can see them.

bythebook
04-27-2015, 05:54 AM
Bobbyj I have loaded for a lot of 243s over the last 40+ years and that 85gr. Sierra BTHP is really accurate plus being effective on Deer or any other game. I now have a target rifle in 243 that likes the 65gr Vmax extremely well.

Hotolds442
04-27-2015, 11:38 AM
Bore Snakes are fine, the first time they're used. After that, all the stuff they remove from the bore gets imbedded into them and slides down the bore with each pass. I prefer traditional cleaning methods, but carry a new Bore Snake in my hunting pack for emergencies.
You may also find that your new rifle prefers to have some copper fouling in the bore to shoot tighter groups. None of my Savage rifles shoot better clean than dirty.

Somehow I ended up editing BTB's post rather than my own. Sorry BTB!

bobbyj
04-27-2015, 11:09 PM
Handirifle, we can use straight-walled cartridges for deer as of 2014 in OH but I agree that it doesn't make much sense to restrict the use of necked cartridges for deer. There are plenty of flat areas in the western part of the state but the Eastern hill country is within my comfort zone. I have been coming across a couple of coyote road kills in the area of my new home and when I take the little dogs out to pee, I always bring a gun just in case. So yes, there are coyotes in the woods here.

bobbyj

bobbyj
04-27-2015, 11:11 PM
Bobbyj I have loaded for a lot of 243s over the last 40+ years and that 85gr. Sierra BTHP is really accurate plus being effective on Deer or any other game. I now have a target rifle in 243 that likes the 65gr Vmax extremely well.
Bore Snakes are fine, the first time they're used. After that, all the stuff they remove from the bore gets imbedded into them and slides down the bore with each pass. I prefer traditional cleaning methods, but carry a new Bore Snake in my hunting pack for emergencies.

Thanks for that tip, btb. i will make certain I keep the barrel clean and don't obect to cleaning it 'old school'.

bobbyj

GaCop
04-28-2015, 09:00 AM
Bobbyj I have loaded for a lot of 243s over the last 40+ years and that 85gr. Sierra BTHP is really accurate plus being effective on Deer or any other game. I now have a target rifle in 243 that likes the 65gr Vmax extremely well. +1 on the Sierra 85 grain HP. I've taken many deer with that bullet in my 243 and it was always bang, flop. Of course, I was using a neck shot so I didn't waste any meat at all.

bobbyj
04-28-2015, 09:43 AM
+1 on the Sierra 85 grain HP. I've taken many deer with that bullet in my 243 and it was always bang, flop. Of course, I was using a neck shot so I didn't waste any meat at all.

Can't wait to test out that bullet weight/brand. I have never had a neck shot deer get up, either, no matter what I shot them with. My ex was stationed at Moody AFB. Got mt first Lab pups back in the '80s from Woodstock. Great country down there.

bobbyj

GaCop
04-29-2015, 04:57 AM
Can't wait to test out that bullet weight/brand. I have never had a neck shot deer get up, either, no matter what I shot them with. My ex was stationed at Moody AFB. Got mt first Lab pups back in the '80s from Woodstock. Great country down there.

bobbyjI was stationed at Robins AFB, central Georgia, before I retired in 1985.

bobbyj
05-05-2015, 04:56 AM
Well, I finally brought the new kid home. It's too early for pics since I now have to select the correct scope base mount and rings for the new Vortex 6.5-20 x 50 Viper scope I got to put on top of it. Vortex makes really fine scopes for the money and this one has the mil dot reticle, so it should be great out to 600 yards or so. Of course, I'm not capable of that but I know this rig will be. I picked up 30 mm rings but finding the right base is becoming a problem. These salespeople at the gun store really don't know much so I texted Vortex to see if they could help. Can't wait to christen her. I'll just spend today cleaning the bore since it's raining and I don't want to get the new girl wet just yet!

Also put a Savage Model 555 .410 O/U shotgun on layaway. Been looking for a .410 to shoot skeet with and this one fits the bill. The wood they put on these Turkish imports is actually stunning for the price point - $679. It should be fun for doves on the treeline next fall, too. Last year's crop of gun mag reviews of this shotgun were positive enough for me to bite.

bobbyj