PDA

View Full Version : Savage magnum mags

kingdombuilder
04-15-2015, 01:29 PM
What size mag can i use for axis with 7 mm magnum can I use standard long action 30-06 mag ?

DrThunder88
04-15-2015, 11:49 PM
A .30-06 mag seems to feed .300 Win Mag, but not as reliably as the Win Mag-specific magazine. I think the 7mm has its own magazine, but the one for my .300 Win Mag Axis is item 109179.

Ah-ha, it looks like the 7mm version could be item 109180.

J.Baker
04-18-2015, 02:22 PM
There's a reason Savage doesn't offer the Axis rifles chambered for magnum cartridges - the "slotted" recoil lug design doesn't have sufficient strength for that level of recoil energy.

DrThunder88
04-19-2015, 12:54 AM
I disagree. The reason they don't offer a magnum Axis is because the entire idea behind the Axis line seems to be to use fewer parts and to make Axis-specific parts cheaper. A magnum Axis would require a bolt head with a magnum face and a short shank, which would not be useful on any of their other rifles. Or, it would require a magnum-specific firing pin for Axises. With standard chamberings, all they need to do is pick standard Model 10 bolt heads off the assembly line. They could have redesigned the firing pin and just used 110 bolt heads, but then the .223 Axis would need its own bolt head.

I shouldn't say "I disagree" like it's a point of contention when I really don't know that. The recoil lug may be Savage's stated problem with the magnum Axis. That said, I haven't had any problems with mine after dozens of rounds of .300 Win Mag through my Axis. Perhaps other magna hit harder and Savage tested the design to failure. What I do know is that, in putting together the gun, the only thing that wasn't a part swap was the bolt head.