PDA

View Full Version : Axis bench rest single shot follower

Magilla26
04-15-2015, 12:29 PM
I am looking for a single shot follower for my Axis .223. I have looked at Score High and they make followers for the 110 series but not for the Axis series. Single loading is a pain and I don't want to load the magazine every time. I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks!

Hotolds442
04-15-2015, 12:37 PM
The Axis and the 110 use the same magazine box. If the single shot follower fits on the 110, why wouldn't it work on the Axis?

DrThunder88
04-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Nobody makes them yet so far as I know.

Magilla26
04-15-2015, 12:47 PM
Score High states that the followers will not work with the new center feed magazine boxes. It looks like my Axis has one.

rick3
04-16-2015, 10:44 AM
I am looking for a single shot follower for my Axis .223. I have looked at Score High and they make followers for the 110 series but not for the Axis series. Single loading is a pain and I don't want to load the magazine every time. I hope someone can help me with this. Thanks!

Magilla,

I was in the same situation, but couldn't find anything commercially made, so I made some myself...out of blue foam!

You can find more details here (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?38946-Feeding-single-rounds), but here's the basics:

"In the meantime, I've made one out of rigid blue foam. Works perfectly as a temporary solution until I can trim the foam thickness so that I can fiberglass it. It's a lot easier than either fumbling with a round on top of the empty magazine, or fiddling with putting my finger in the hole to "assist" with the loading."

"Then, I thought I'd make a "test" one out of foam, so I just placed my Axis mag on the foam, drew around it, and cut it out. I used a craft knife (basically a big Exacto knife). Nothing was very precise at all, but it fit so well that I didn't go to the trouble of making the one from the detailed measurements!"

I eventually made several of these since they are so simple to make (...and I tend to forget to put them in my range bag ;)). I've "skinned" them over with a layer of JBWeld to make them more durable, and I've used them for several hundred rounds now, with no problem. Cheap, easy to make, easy to modify...what's not to like?

n4ue
04-16-2015, 02:06 PM
Sharp Shooters Supply made some a short while back. They were called the "poly Sled". They work excellent, I bought 3.
I have 11 Axis rifles (short actions) some are Ackley Improved, and I almost always fire them single shot. I believe SSS has a newer model, but I now make my own.....

ron

fgw_in_fla
04-16-2015, 04:27 PM
Maybe one of youse guys can 'splain something to me.

Occasionally I see someone that needs / wants a stationary follower for bench shooting.
When I go to the range to test ammo I load one at a time. Drop 'em in the receiver, shove the bolt forward, line it up and send it.

What's the advantage / difference with using a single shot follower and just loading the rounds one at a time? Is there an advantage with respect to accuracy?

Maybe I just don't understand some of these new fangled gadgets...

Magilla26
04-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks to rick3 and n4ue for the info. In response to fgw_in_fla, I have other rifles that I can just drop one in the receiver and fire away. The Axis in .223 is much more difficult to single load. If I dropped one in the receiver, 80% of the time it would hang up or jam, this is why I need a follower.

fgw_in_fla
04-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Do you find sometimes they nosedive when you shove the bolt forward? I got to thinking after I wrote that, I recall occasions where a 180gr will sometimes dive into the end of the barrel when I chamber it slowly in my beloved '06.

Sorry....

Momentary lapse of short term ... uuhhhh..... short term..... something or other.
It's an age thing.

blink
04-17-2015, 01:40 AM
i too would like to have a single shot follower for the range.....anyone got a 3d printer.lol

rick3
04-29-2015, 11:50 AM
i too would like to have a single shot follower for the range.....anyone got a 3d printer.lol

I WISH! That would be ideal, since I have more ideas than craftsmanship!
But the foam insert (for this particular single shot problem) is still going strong.

Magilla26
04-29-2015, 06:22 PM
I just received my Axis single shot loading ramp from Sharp Shooters Supply. Only 18 bucks and it fits perfectly. I had to remove the barreled action from the stock and remove one pin that holds the trigger assembly and it slipped right in. Re-install in reverse order and you are set. The ramp is made of aluminum that has been CNC machined, nice work. Set to go to the range.

rick3
04-30-2015, 09:31 AM
I just received my Axis single shot loading from Sharp Shooters Supply. Only 18 bucks and it fits perfectly. I had to remove the barreled action from the stock and remove one pin that holds the trigger assembly and it slipped right in. Re-install in reverse order and you are set. The ramp is made of aluminum that has been CNC machined, nice work. Set to go to the range.

Magilla,

Just to be clear, I've read that those do work very nicely...but as you mention, they do require some disassembly of the rifle to install/remove. On the other hand, the "Poly Sled" that was mentioned before (also by Sharp Shooters Supply) just snaps in and out like the regular magazine.

So, we're looking at two different items, for two different purposes: I'd use the "loading ramp" if I wanted to pretty consistently use my Axis as a single shot, but I'd use the "Poly Sled" (if it was still available) if I wanted to be able to swap back and forth between single shot and mag fed without any takedown of the rifle.

Magilla26
04-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Good point Rick but I was not able to find a "Poly Sled" and the loading ramp was available. It took about 15 min. on the bench and now that I am familiar with the process it will be faster next time. Changing it out in the field could be problematic with the potential of losing a spring off the trigger assembly. I do plan on using it as a single shot but will change it out on the bench if needed.

devildogandboy
04-30-2015, 03:30 PM
i have an Edge(Axis) in 7-08 and i shoot it mostly single shot. i just lay a round on top of the mag(already inserted) and shove the bolt forward, no hang-ups or snags. i would think it would work with 223 as well.

Bruce

rick3
05-01-2015, 09:54 AM
i have an Edge(Axis) in 7-08 and i shoot it mostly single shot. i just lay a round on top of the mag(already inserted) and shove the bolt forward, no hang-ups or snags. i would think it would work with 223 as well.

Bruce

Bruce,

I can tell you that that technique doesn't work consistently with the .243, in fact, it hangs up/jams more often than not.

Magilla26
05-01-2015, 10:04 AM
I agree with what Rick said. Doesn't work with the .223 either.

DrThunder88
05-01-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm happy to know the SSS loading tray will fit wit a bit of effort! It'd be nice to get a more easily installed and removed piece, but the demand might just not exist.

rick3
05-01-2015, 02:41 PM
I'm happy to know the SSS loading tray will fit wit a bit of effort! It'd be nice to get a more easily installed and removed piece, but the demand might just not exist.

Doc,

That's what I was told the last time this came up. I checked with SSS via email, and they said that the slipin/slipout adapter was made for a very limited run, and that they "may" do a production run again sometime. Couldn't wait, which is why I did the homemade foam adapter route.

blink
05-18-2015, 05:37 PM
on my past few range visits,i would have surely loved a single shot adapter!
the firearm is rested perfectly for a shot and i either need to fiddle with a single round and try and line it up or load the mag,either way i need to get positioned again.
IF i ever hear of one being made,i'll be getting one for sure!