PDA

View Full Version : Model 111 barrel finish

bdz65
04-14-2015, 06:24 PM
I just purchased a model 111 in 270 and noticed a strange ribbing in the barrel surface. The barrel finish is smooth and glossy but the steel has low spots that show as ribbing. The ribbing is evident in several spots around the barrel circumference and runs from 4" to about 7" from the muzzle end. Is this normal with the smooth glossy finished Savage barrels?

http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah304/bdzchman/IMG_3977a_zpsnomhm12i.jpg

GaCop
04-15-2015, 04:52 AM
Looks like a poor polishing job at the factory. Other than aesthetics, it shouldn't have any affect on performance. If it bugs you, you can always bead blast the barrel to give it a matt look.

bdz65
04-15-2015, 05:36 AM
Looks like a poor polishing job at the factory. Other than aesthetics, it shouldn't have any affect on performance. If it bugs you, you can always bead blast the barrel to give it a matt look.

Yea, it looks like when the barrel was tapered the milling machine hopped or something. I contacted Savage about this, they said it should not be there and immediately took the gun back. To my complete surprise, three weeks later I got the gun back and nothing was done. I immediately called customer service and was told their report said the barrel was re-finished. I am guessing Savage considers this normal barrel finish??? If the gun shoots well I will have to get over it, but I intended to put a nice custom Boyds stock on this gun. Every time you look @ the barrel in the sun several of these ribbed areas jump out at you. When you oil the barrel it is very obvious, just does not seem right to me!

Hotolds442
04-15-2015, 11:03 AM
It's obviously one of the special ones.

Ribbed for your shooting pleasure.

earl39
04-15-2015, 02:29 PM
It's obviously one of the special ones.

Ribbed for your shooting pleasure.

:p
OH MY

GaCop
04-16-2015, 06:47 AM
it's obviously one of the special ones.

Ribbed for your shooting pleasure. lol!!

bdz65
04-16-2015, 08:30 AM
lol!!

Yea, guess I better not let my wife see this.