PDA

View Full Version : Possibly dumb question...

BarrelNuts
04-14-2015, 01:06 AM
I am currently building a .260 rem. that I plan on using for dual purpose long range target and long range (for me) hunting. To keep things simple I want to load 140's for both... now here comes the dumb part as I'm fairly new to reloading:

If I load a 140gr Nosler Custom Comp. and a 140gr Nosler Accubond or BT... same case prep, same powder, same primer, seated same depth... will there be a noticeable shift? I understand that each probably has a slightly different BC and SD, which will have an impact; but if I load the 140 Custom Comp. for target shooting and load the AB's or BT's for hunting will it still shoot "minute of deer" at 300 to 400 yards without having to tweak the optics?

Would stand to reason that same mass pushed at the same velocity from the same barrel would have very similar results... or am I way off?

barrel-nut
04-14-2015, 01:52 AM
Different bullets can sometimes have different points of impact, even with all else being equal. At shorter ranges, say 100-200 yds, it should still be at least minute of deer. At longer ranges the difference may (or may not) become significant. The only way to know is to actually shoot them all. Fwiw, I've found the Accubonds and BallisticTips to have the same point of impact in my rifles.

yobuck
04-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Life is all about tweeking every day. lol

stomp442
04-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Shoot a Berger. Match grade quality and outstanding terminal performance. One bullet for everything.

Dogfish
04-14-2015, 06:30 PM
Very good question, actually.

We shoot 168gr SMK's out of our .308s for practice and have used 165gr Nosler partitions and 165gr game kings for deer and elk. Also we shoot Barnes TSX/TTSX at times. No real noticeable change in impact between the SMK, game kings and Partitions out to 400. About a 4" shift higher with the Barnes bullets compared to the SMK.

Knowing the dope on different bullet weights and loads is a good thing. The last few years dealing with component shortages has led many of us to try different loads when our go to powders and bullets were hard to source. Ideally one bullet is a very good way to go, but if I can train with 147gr FMJ's and 143gr tracers from $.06-12 each, why not save some money and develop two loads.