PDA

View Full Version : hitting a hornet's nest but...

Pages : [1] 2

BarrelNuts
04-13-2015, 09:15 PM
I know this is probably hitting a hornet's nest/opening a can of worms here but... looking for optics recommendations for my build; no rush to pick it right now and want to make sure I'm buying once. The "best" scope I've owned to date is a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50... which considering it was used solely for hunting within 300 yards was more than adequate.

For this project I'm looking for something more "tactical" with a bit more magnification... I plan on shooting past 700 yards (paper/steel) and using as a long range hunting rifle (have a few places where there is open line of sight for 600 yards; which from my fuzzy math is about as far as a .260 should be used for deer sized game).

I have looked at a few options... so far the Vortex Viper PST and similar are what I'm looking at; feel free to compare quality/features.....

I'd REALLY like a Razor HD Gen 2.... but I think that is going to be out of the budget.....

Sooo... what glass in the $1000 ballpark would you go with?

mattri
04-13-2015, 10:09 PM
What do you mean by "tactical"?

Does it need black webbing and straps attached or can it just say "tactical" somewhere on it?

barrel-nut
04-13-2015, 10:35 PM
"Buy once/cry once"- Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56

$1000-range- Sightron SIII 6-24 X 50

$5-600 range- lots of options, my favorite being Weaver Super Slam 4-20 X50.

Btw, nice screen name 😁😁

BarrelNuts
04-13-2015, 10:35 PM
What do you mean by "tactical"?

Does it need black webbing and straps attached or can it just say "tactical" somewhere on it?

MUST have coyote webbing; nothing black... its not night vision. What I meant by "tactical" could also be described as "target"... finger adjustable turrets with a zero stop; something I can dial in adjustments on without having to unscrew top caps; mil-dot or similar reticle not needed but a plus.

BarrelNuts
04-14-2015, 12:09 AM
"Buy once/cry once"- Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56

$1000-range- Sightron SIII 6-24 X 50

$5-600 range- lots of options, my favorite being Weaver Super Slam 4-20 X50.

Btw, nice screen name 

I'll have to check out the Sightron... dilemma I'm facing is I can get a great deal on the Vortex with military/LE discount so the PST gets way down in my budget range... flip side is that I've read quite a few reviews of folks that have had to use the warranty... my personal take on warranties is they should be like concealed carry weapons; always have one but if you have to use it something has gone very wrong.
... and on the screen name it would appear that great minds thing alike!

yobuck
04-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Whats wrong with using the vx3 you have? Leupold will install the target knobs if it dosent have them.
Make your own zero stop if you think you (really) need one. Zero the gun and cut off a pc. of a 12 ga.
shotgun shell to fit the space below the scope knob. Remove the knob slip it on and replace the knob.
I can also explain how to remove it lol.

stomp442
04-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Your thinking is sound on the Vortex. The reason everyone raves about their warranty is because they have all had to use it. I have owned several Vortex optics and I will never own another one. If you like the Leupold stick with the leupold. I recently put one of the VXIII 8.5-25x50s on my match gun and that was the best money I have ever spent.

mattri
04-14-2015, 10:34 AM
I have 2 PSTs, couldn't be happier with them. Bought them both used off this site and have never had any problems whatsoever, they are repeatable and are not babied. In my opinion their reticles and glass is better than NF.

BarrelNuts
04-14-2015, 11:11 AM
Whats wrong with using the vx3 you have? Leupold will install the target knobs if it dosent have them.
Make your own zero stop if you think you (really) need one. Zero the gun and cut off a pc. of a 12 ga.
shotgun shell to fit the space below the scope knob. Remove the knob slip it on and replace the knob.

The VX-3 currently sits atop a Browning A-Bolt in .308 that I sold to a friend about 2 years ago... I mean I guess I could steal it back but that just wouldn't be nice.

BarrelNuts
04-14-2015, 11:35 AM

When you offered to explain how to remove the home-made zero stop... this bit popped into my mind;

"Place the small metal flap into the buckle." Well, I asked for clarification at that point. Over here please, over here, yes, thank you very much. Did I hear you correctly? Did you say place the small metal flap into the buckle or place the buckle over and around the small metal flap? I'm a simple man; I do not possess an engineering degree nor am I mechanically inclined. Sorry to have taken up so much of your time. Please continue with the wonderful safety lecture. Seatbelt--high-tech $hi+" George Carlin

Alleycat72
04-14-2015, 05:39 PM
I have 2 PSTs, couldn't be happier with them. Bought them both used off this site and have never had any problems whatsoever, they are repeatable and are not babied. In my opinion their reticles and glass is better than NF.

I have two FFP PSTs and love them, but they are no where in the same ballpark as Nightforce. I own two 15x55 competition, one 12x42 BR, and a 5 x 25 ATACR. I would buy another FFP pst in a second, but not the SFP.

mattri
04-14-2015, 08:56 PM
Awesome reply- glad the OP has different opinions to choose from.

A buddy I shoot with "had" to have a NF.

He bought one and really liked it, 8-32 target model. NP-2 reticle.

It's a good scope, no issues to speak of, but when he looked through my Vortex he was floored. Better glass, better reticle etc.

His next purchase was not a NF.

There will always be some folks who "have" to own a NF, and more power to them.

Others have looked through the glass, shot them back to back and decided to go with a Vortex.

Look through as many as you can, shoot as many as you can and pick whichever your eye likes best.

BarrelNuts
04-15-2015, 12:14 AM
The NF, Leupold, Sightron, Vortex, Bushy... so many choices. The problem I'm up against is budget; I'd love to "buy once cry once" but a NF or similarly priced is out of range. Like a lot of folks the features on the PST for the price is something I find appealing... especially since they reportedly give a 30+% military discount; just have the downside of the reports of having to use the warranty.
The Leupold VX-3 I had was a nice piece of glass; however to get something with a FFP reticle from them with a lot of magnification will likely put them out of my price range. Maybe I'll just go down to the local Wally World and pick up one of these... seems legit?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Barska-Optics-AC11084-10-40X50-AO-Varmint-Black-Matte-Mil-Dot/23237989

Newsshooter
04-15-2015, 01:50 AM
For that price I'd look at the Bushnell 3-21 and the Burris scopes which have been getting good reviews though I haven't used one. I've got a bushnell that I use for tactical matches, it's a good solid scope and I really like the G2 reticle. I also have a vortex 6-24 SFP that I bought when I started shooting long range, it's now on a 223 for my 12yr old nephew to learn to shoot long range. It's a decent scope too and you can get it in FFP with a similar reticle now. The vortex warranty rocks, recently sent mine in as I had loaned it to a buddy to use and he overtightened the rings damaging the tube. Vortex replaced it under warranty. Made me a fan for life. Saving my pennies for a genII razor now.

rjtfroggy
04-15-2015, 06:26 AM
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

Give this a look maybe all you need or want.

yobuck
04-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Well if were comparing warranties, none is better than Leupold.
Guaranteed for the life of the scope regardless of how many owners had it.
I bought a used vx3 3.5x10 a couple years ago in what appeared to be mint condition.
I sent the scope to Leupold for a reticle change as i didnt want the heavy duplex.
They notified me about an internal problem i wasent even aware of. Since the scope
was an older one the didnt have the parts on hand to repair it.
They sent me a new replacment scope at no charge. So in essence i bought a new vx3 3.5x10 for $350.

stomp442
04-15-2015, 09:26 AM
Yep people always rave about the Vortex Warranty and that being the reason they buy one but in reality any major scope manufacturer does the same thing. I bought a used Nikon Monarch from a guy here locally and it had some parallax issues so I sent it off for repair. Two weeks later I had a brand new scope show up at my door. Same quality and timely service I ever got from Vortex.

Newsshooter
04-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Well if were comparing warranties, none is better than Leupold.
Guaranteed for the life of the scope regardless of how many owners had it.
I bought a used vx3 3.5x10 a couple years ago in what appeared to be mint condition.
I sent the scope to Leupold for a reticle change as i didnt want the heavy duplex.
They notified me about an internal problem i wasent even aware of. Since the scope
was an older one the didnt have the parts on hand to repair it.
They sent me a new replacment scope at no charge. So in essence i bought a new vx3 3.5x10 for $350.

Vortex is the same, but not all do that, try it with a S&B. :)

mattri
04-15-2015, 03:29 PM
I've read the Zeiss doesn't have that great of a warranty either. Seems strange for such a high dollar item.

missed
04-15-2015, 10:10 PM
I have 4 of the Vortex PST's the 1-4, 2-10, and 2 of the 6-24. I have been happy with them, not quite a Nightforce but im still really happy with them. One of the 6-24's and the 1-4 gets its turn on the truck gun, and they dont get babied. The 6-24 has taken a hard hit, then fell into cow poo and mud, then got blasted off with the hose to clean it and still works like new. All mine with the exception of the 1-4 all all SFP. I wanted the thin cross hairs at full magnification.