PDA

View Full Version : hitting a hornet's nest but...

Pages : 1 [2]

BarrelNuts
04-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Did some warranty comparisons between my front runners... here is Leupold's verbage from their website:

Leupold Optics are built for a lifetime of performance at the highest level, plain and simple. Other companies offer lifetime warranties because they know the optics they’re selling you are going to break, fail, or fall short of expectations. At Leupold, that’s not how we do business.

With the Leupold Gold Ring Full Lifetime Guarantee, if your Leupold product doesn’t perform as promised, we will repair or replace it for free, whether you are the original owner or not—forever (excludes electronic components). You don’t need proof of ownership. Or a warranty card. And there’s no time limit. We do this because we believe in superior quality and craftsmanship, and we’re confident your Leupold won’t let you down. That’s the power of our company, and we stand behind our work.

They then throw in the kicker on a smaller drop down menu:

Warranty ExclusionsUnfortunately, these warranties do not apply if the product has been modified, misused or has been damaged by accident, abuse, or misapplication. To ensure this doesn’t happen to you, contact Leupold Product Service before having any work or repairs done to your valuable Leupold optics. Call 1-800-LEUPOLD or (503) 526-1400.

Here is from Vortex:

Our VIP warranty is about you, not us. It's about taking care of you after the sale.
VIP stands for a Very Important Promise to you, our customer. We will repair or replace your Vortex product in the event it becomes damaged or defective—at no charge to you. If we cannot repair your product, we will replace it with a product in perfect working order of equal or better physical condition.
You see, it doesn't matter how it happened, whose fault it was, or where you purchased it. You can count on the VIP Warranty for all Vortex Optics riflescopes, prism scopes, red dots, rangefinders, binoculars, spotting scopes, tripods, andmonoculars.

Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
Fully transferable
No warranty card to fill out
No receipt needed to hang on to

If you ever have a problem, no matter the cause, we promise to take care of you.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/icon_note.gif
The VIP Warranty does not cover loss, theft, deliberate damage or cosmetic damage that does not hinder the performance of the product.

And Bushnell:

WARRANTY INFORMATIONSince 1984, the majority of our Bushnell sports optics products have been covered by a Limited Lifetime Warranty. Bushnell Outdoor Products guarantees these products to be free of defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the original owner.
These warranties do not cover consumer caused damages such as misuse, abuse or repairs attempted by someone other than our authorized technicians. Click here for Repair Services (http://www.bushnell.com/global/customer-service/global-customer-service-product-repairs).
LIFETIME LIMITED WARRANTYBinoculars (excludes ImageView Binoculars)
Riflescopes (excludes Riflescopes with illuminated reticles and Red Dot sights)
Spotting Scopes (excludes ImageView Spotting Scopes)
Telescopes (excludes North Star Telescopes)

Not sure what Bushnell means by "limited lifetime" as its not spelled out explicitly on their webpage. Both Bushnell and Leupold have the "abuse and misuse" clause in there... Leupold also lists "accident" as a limiter on their warranty. So... of the three with what is actually in writing Vortex has the strongest warranty. If you are climbing into a tree stand and drop your rifle (number one you should be beaten severely for such irresponsibility...) and the scope breaks of the three looks like vortex is the only one that is, in writing, obligated to repair/replace. Not saying that Leupold wouldn't... just their warranty doesn't say they have to. Food for thought.

jonbearman
04-21-2015, 10:59 PM
For that price I would look at the sightron 8-32 with croshairs as their mildots are way to big.

willyg09
04-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Another thing to consider would be wether you will doing a lot of spot and stalk, where a scope with locking turrets will really earn its spot on your rifle. Just one less thing to worry about when your crawling into place for that shot on your dream bull or buck.

Im in the market for a scope for mostly the same criteria as you and although I have never handled one the bushnell elite dmr has nothing but rave reviews and can be had for just a smidge over 1k$ and on precision rifle blog outperfomed scopes that cost 6x as much. (Very thorough testing)
The swfa are notoriously rugged and good optics from what i have gathered and imagine a good choice as well.
Like others have mentioned the vortex seems to be hit or miss, and if you watch some tracking test on youtube i doubt you would be impressed.

psharon97
04-26-2015, 11:08 AM
I have 2 Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. Haven't had a problem with either of them. Never had to use the warranty either.

yobuck
04-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Im trying to remember the last time me or my gun fell out of a tree. Or screwed up my scope while crawling up on a deer.
Im still on board for an occaisional 1 man deer drive however.

BarrelNuts
04-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Im trying to remember the last time me or my gun fell out of a tree. Or screwed up my scope while crawling up on a deer.
Im still on board for an occaisional 1 man deer drive however.

I do a lot of hunting from elevated tree stands... rather than climbing up the ladder or tree spikes always climb up and pull the rifle up after me; safer that way. I have had a rifle get about 13 feet off the ground then knot comes undone, or sling swivel breaks, etc... Also had a friend fall asleep in a tree stand and drop his rifle (dumb and extremely irresponsible but, it happened).

LongRange
04-26-2015, 06:53 PM
I have 2 Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50. Haven't had a problem with either of them. Never had to use the warranty either.

you will...i can think of 6 guys off the top of my head that have had issues with them....BUT...they do stand behind their products.

BarrelNuts
04-26-2015, 08:16 PM
you will...i can think of 6 guys off the top of my head that have had issues with them....BUT...they do stand behind their products.

Are these recent (past 6 months to a year) or older? I've read/seen a lot where Vortex has improved quality and consistency over the past few years. Despite the reputation I've talked to quite a few on here who actually swear by their PSTs, said they have never had problems with them (newer models), and highly recommend them. They offer a military/LEO discount that would put a PST not just well within the budget but at about half of what everything else I'm interested in costs; in other words even with the folks who say they are prone to break (because they stand by their warranty) I'm still seriously considering giving them a shot.

psharon97
04-26-2015, 10:50 PM

I got my first one June of 2012 and never had any issues with it. Got my second one September of last year, same story on that one. This isn't a Nightforce, or Schmidt & Bender or US Optics, or any number of scopes in that price range. I wouldn't want to take this scope to Afghanistan nor would I mount it to a Law Enforcement precision rifle. If that were the case, then yes, I would spend as much money on optics as my armorer could afford. Unfortunately, I simply cannot afford that kind of scope and most people can't. For the price and features, the PST is a great value.

noisewaterphd
04-27-2015, 01:43 AM
I have 2 Vipers (HSLR FFP, PST SFP), 1 NF (SHV), 1 Sightron (SIII), and 3 Nikon's (2 Monarchs, 1 Prostaff).

So, speaking from firsthand experience, I can honestly say that I prefer Vortex glass over any other that I own.

I can also say that I have yet to have any issues with the Vortex scopes. And, they have not been treated nicely, one is on a pack rifle, the other on my varmint. They both get very used and abused.

Having said that, I trust the NF more overall, and the repeatability is the best of the bunch. This is a bench gun, and is treated better than my first born child. I have not actually tested the ruggedness. It definitely gives you that feeling though.

The Sightron is pretty great too if I'm being honest.

The Nikon's were all purchased on sale, and every rifle needs a scope...they really look darn good for the $$

Optics have come a long way in the past few years. Pick one that is on sale, and meets your criteria. Don't get too hung up with brand names.

If money is no object, or if ultimate reliabilty/dependability is paramount, I think I would recommend the NightForce out of any that I have first hand experience with.

stomp442
04-27-2015, 10:14 AM
How many of you guys are using the turrets to dial for long range shooting? I will admit that the Vortex glass is very nice but I use more than nice glass for my kind of shooting. I dial for range anywhere from 200 to 1200 yards and the Vortex just doesn't hold up and are not repeatable. In my experiences with them over the last two years once you have them zeroed they seem to hold zero fine but once you go cranking on the turret they will not come back in to the same point.

Here is the latest experience I had with a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24X50 just last deer season. I had helped a buddy of mine build a sweet Coues deer rig, A short action savage with a 24" light Varmint Criterion barrel chambered in .260 Remington in a Boyds Thumbhole stock. Despite my best efforts to sway him to something else he buys the above mentioned scope because he also could get it for a steal with law enforcement discount. We mount the scope in Burris signature Zee Rings and head to the rifle range to work out our come ups out to 1000 yards. Range session went fine and everything worked as it should. Fast forward a couple weeks and we are at the range again for practice as the hunt was nearly approaching. We check zero at 200 and things are fine, then dial out to the 800 yard steel, make a hit there and move to 600 steel miss low move to 400 steel miss low. Back to 200 to check zero again and miss about a foot low. Re zero the scope at 200 then dial out to 800 steel again miss low. Dial back to 200 miss low by a foot or more again. Give him a quick I told you so and get the scope in the mail. Warranty turn around was quick but not quick enough to make the hunt. Luckily he had a back up .308 to take. I have seen this same scenario play out multiple times with my own scopes as well as other friends of mine and I have come to see a pattern. Those that do not dial for range don't seem to have a bit of trouble with Vortex Optics and those of us that do end up with tracking issues.

missed
04-27-2015, 10:25 AM
My PST scopes track very well. I dial in almost all the time rather than hold over.

yobuck
04-27-2015, 12:07 PM
I do a lot of hunting from elevated tree stands... rather than climbing up the ladder or tree spikes always climb up and pull the rifle up after me; safer that way. I have had a rifle get about 13 feet off the ground then knot comes undone, or sling swivel breaks, etc... Also had a friend fall asleep in a tree stand and drop his rifle (dumb and extremely irresponsible but, it happened).

Well i was joking of coarse. (Except for the one man drive thing.) I have heard of these type things happening.
And im sure its happened more often than weve heard about.

Newsshooter
04-27-2015, 05:02 PM
I have a PST 6-24 that I use for shooting monthly tactical matches both long range out to 1K and steel to 500 meters. Mine tracks just fine, needed some warranty work after a buddy overtightened the rings when I loaned him the scope for a couple months. Vortex fixed it for free and turned it around in a week, actually they shipped it out the day after receiving it. I dial for elevation and wind.

Matno
04-29-2015, 10:31 PM
Tracking issues with PST scopes is definitely not the norm. Also very rare to need the warranty twice on the same scope.

BarrelNuts
04-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the information everyone... Going to pull the trigger on the PST. With the discount program they have for mil/leo I can't get anywhere near the scope for the price anywhere else. If it turns out to be a bum they have a great warranty... and if I have to use the warranty I have another rifle I can use.

LongRange
04-30-2015, 05:28 PM
Are these recent (past 6 months to a year) or older? I've read/seen a lot where Vortex has improved quality and consistency over the past few years. Despite the reputation I've talked to quite a few on here who actually swear by their PSTs, said they have never had problems with them (newer models), and highly recommend them. They offer a military/LEO discount that would put a PST not just well within the budget but at about half of what everything else I'm interested in costs; in other words even with the folks who say they are prone to break (because they stand by their warranty) I'm still seriously considering giving them a shot.

ive seen 2 vortexs go south this year(tracking issues)...one was on my buddies 204 second time out with it...and 4 through last year.

sorry for the late reply.

Berger.Fan222
04-30-2015, 09:43 PM
If you like the Leupold stick with the leupold. I recently put one of the VXIII 8.5-25x50s on my match gun and that was the best money I have ever spent.

Agreed. Never regretted buying a Leupold. The VXIII 8.5-25x50s is solid for long range.

SparkyLB
04-30-2015, 11:06 PM
I've never been a long distance shooter; either for hunting or target, so take this with a grain of salt. I'm not super familiar with the needs a long distance shooter has when it comes to MOA clicks, or even if any scope I'll mention fits your needs, but here goes. At one time the Leupold VariX III in 6-20 x 44 with a single dot reticle was the nicest scope I ever used. On my 22-250 I could reach out and hit prairie dogs at 400 yards with good clarity. Then I got a Zeiss 4-12 x 40. That was super crystal clear and spectacular in the field. I could see the eyelashes on whitetail at 100 yards, and talk about crisp. . . I now have a Swarovski 4-18 x 50 Habicht, and I have no words to describe how magnificent it is. When I put a 1" blaze orange round decal on a target set at 200 yds; the reticle breaks that 1" bright orange dot into 4 distinct quadrants like it was 10 feet away. The advertisers have words to describe optics like this; but I can't. You just have to look through this tube to see what you've been missing all your life.

I know nothing about the many of the scopes listed above my post, never heard of some of those brands. They might be the holy grail for all I know; but glass by Leupold, Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica (in my world) are in a world of their own. A picture really is worth 1,000 words. (A sight-picture, that is.)

Good luck in your search.