PDA

View Full Version : 308 Long Range Hunting/Target Build Suggestions

lrshooting
04-13-2015, 01:55 PM
First and foremost, I mean long range hunting as in my maximum "ethical" range, not 1000 yard +. Targets will be as far as I can get the bullet to fly good :)

So Ive been working on this build for a while, mainly taking time to chose my parts carefully and adding to my gun jar. I really just want to get some suggestions for any thing that might make it better, what to watch out for, and considerations.

The gun is being built off a 2014 Savage short action that came from a M11. Here are the parts I have decided on.
-Shilen 26 inch select match barrel in 308.
-McMillian A5 (Flat top to reduce costs...I can inlet and bed)
-Northland Shooters Supply Recoil Lug and Barrel Nut
-Vortex 4-16x50 PST FFP
-TPS 20 MOA steel base
-Vortex Rings
-PTG DBM

Thats the basics. I have a few other small things that are more to do with construction of the stock such as Devcon 10110, but I plan on doing pillar job with bedding job and I will play with barrel contact points. I will probably end up with only the reciever bedded and possibly the chamber area depending on accuracy trials. Ill leave the stock only inletted for awhile, and eventually mess with LIP and add a adjustable comb. Scope rings will be lapped and base will be bedded if needed on front or back depending on trueness of base and reciever

Thanks!

darkker
04-13-2015, 03:38 PM
Well, this is a bit of a "which pick-up is the best" question.

You certainly have quality parts, but the most important piece, in my mind, is a CONSISTENT trigger.
Weight is (to me) fairly irrelevant, as long as it is ALWAYS that way. Too many folks live with very light, but creepy triggers; and that is what mucks-up the system. That and too many small groups, 3-5 shots don't mean poop if you are only shooting to 100, and taking 10 minutes to do the group.

Shoot often, shoot a lot, and learn!!

Cheers

mattri
04-13-2015, 07:08 PM
Looks like you're definitely on the right track. Couple of things to maybe consider:

A Shilen is a great barrel, A CBI could be every bit as accurate and may be in stock with Jim, I wouldn't pick one above the other. 26" is a pretty standard aftermarket length, there seems to be a lot of folks having really good results with 24-22" barrels as well, may be something to look at.

The Vortex PSTs are awesome scopes, I have a couple of them and couldn't be happier. The EBR-1 reticle is awesome.

You didn't mention barrel twist, or whether you hand load, those can be pretty big considerations.

darkker is right, trigger pull/weight can really throw off a good build, your donor is an accutrigger?

What is your history/skill level?

Should be a great project, be sure to keep us posted!

tammons
04-13-2015, 08:48 PM
This is what I would do personally for a long range 308.

SS Long Action - to hang the 208 amax out farther than 308 mag length.

Good 24" varmint bbl throated for 208gr Amaxes loaded over RL17 only because 26" is too long for me to deal with hunting.

Good bedded stock. I like the B+C duramax stocks for a hunting stock but are not made any more. The one you selected is way better.

Machined recoil lug.

SSS trigger

Good base. Farrel is one of the best. EGW is good.

Good rings - honed.

Vortex PST 2.5-10x or whatever your flavor.

Also I had a 19" bbl 308 I hunted with for a while, loaded with 208 Amaxes over RL17 and I could get about 2550 out of it which works out to almost 1200 FPE at 800 yards and that bullets has over a .3 SD so its got plenty of punch even with a short barrel.

That said 308 is somewhat limited and a 284 or a 280AI especially will make a better long range hunter.
You can buy 280AI brass now ready to go.

lrshooting
04-13-2015, 09:58 PM
Looks like you're definitely on the right track. Couple of things to maybe consider:

A Shilen is a great barrel, A CBI could be every bit as accurate and may be in stock with Jim, I wouldn't pick one above the other. 26" is a pretty standard aftermarket length, there seems to be a lot of folks having really good results with 24-22" barrels as well, may be something to look at.

The Vortex PSTs are awesome scopes, I have a couple of them and couldn't be happier. The EBR-1 reticle is awesome.

You didn't mention barrel twist, or whether you hand load, those can be pretty big considerations.

darkker is right, trigger pull/weight can really throw off a good build, your donor is an accutrigger?

What is your history/skill level?

Should be a great project, be sure to keep us posted!

I already have the Shilen barrel from Jim. Very nice guy to work with by the way.

I cant remember barrel twist. I think its 1:10, and I do handload. Ive done some ladder testing procedures as well as a few others and it seems to work well. I do everything one bullet at a time. That means I use single stage presses and I am careful on every single setup and use scales to individually weigh each charge. Im sure most do when it comes to that.

The donor is an accutrigger. Only problem is it is a bottom release so if I so decide to get a Sav2 Rifle Basix or something, I need to get a top release sear. I like the accutrigger though, so I doubt I will. If I want have more trigger there to play with, timney makes a drop in trigger that is basically the same thing except with more adjustment.

As far as history and skill level, I have no prior history in a build this expensive. That being said, ive tinkered since I could hold a screw driver and being from a farm, there is always a engine to rebuild, parts to fix, parts to make, things to diagnose, its always something. Therefore, I have a pretty extensive knowledge base in technical reasoning and I just like mechanical engineering anyways so I study it quite a bit in my free time. Directly related to guns, Ive refurbished a couple 22's, converting 1 to a bullpup stock and I do trigger jobs when I feel a gun needs it. Im pretty mechanically inclined and I can usually figure things out rather quickly, I just dont have the resources to fix or make what I am looking at and that has always been my limiting factor.

lrshooting
04-13-2015, 10:02 PM
This is what I would do personally for a long range 308.

SS Long Action - to hang the 208 amax out farther than 308 mag length.

Good 24" varmint bbl throated for 208gr Amaxes loaded over RL17 only because 26" is too long for me to deal with hunting.

Good bedded stock. I like the B+C duramax stocks for a hunting stock but are not made any more. The one you selected is way better.

Machined recoil lug.

SSS trigger

Good base. Farrel is one of the best. EGW is good.

Good rings - honed.

Vortex PST 2.5-10x or whatever your flavor.

Also I had a 19" bbl 308 I hunted with for a while, loaded with 208 Amaxes over RL17 and I could get about 2550 out of it which works out to almost 1200 FPE at 800 yards and that bullets has over a .3 SD so its got plenty of punch even with a short barrel.

That said 308 is somewhat limited and a 284 or a 280AI especially will make a better long range hunter.
You can buy 280AI brass now ready to go.

Actually, I was planning on shooting this .308 for a while and maybe buy another barrel sometime that I can swap in for the .308 barrel if I feel like it. I was thinking something like a 6.5, .243, .280, .260, 7mm-08 or something similar. I dont know yet for sure, but itd be nice to stay in the realm of .308 wildcat cartridges so I can just neck down the .308 brass unless it is more economical to buy brass for the cartridge of choice. I dont need to spend this much money on two guns and if for some reason I need a higher B.C. and faster velocities for a job a .308 cant do well, ill just change out the barrel and possibly the bolt head if need be. Shouldn't be an issue unless I get into long range target shooting for competition though.

tammons
04-13-2015, 10:36 PM
.308 208 gr Amax, although a target bullet, is a sledgehammer on hogs and deer.

I shot a 300# boar hog at about 350 yards and it dropped him.
Blew a hole out the other side about 2" in diameter.

6.5x55 swede is a really nice cartridge but you need a long action for it.
I have a 6.5x55 swedish mauser and it really doesnt have much recoil at all. A real pleasure to shoot.

Nice thing about the 6.5x55 is you can buy Lapua brass for relatively cheap considering the quality.
Its on sale right now for $67/100 at midway.
260 or 6.5 creedmore will do the same thing though.

6mm is too small for me personally as I like larger bullets.

338 federal is also GTG if you like larger diameter bullets. Its devistating on Deer and hogs but not along range round.
That said with the .338 160 gr TTSX over the right powder you can get 3000 FPS out of it.

Deer and hogs both just flop over dead with that load.

Sounds good to go as .308 is a really nice round.

I also like the 7mm-08 and the 7mm 162 gr Amax is about like the .308 208 gr amax. as far as killing power.

lrshooting
04-13-2015, 11:32 PM
.308 208 gr Amax, although a target bullet, is a sledgehammer on hogs and deer.

I shot a 300# boar hog at about 350 yards and it dropped him.
Blew a hole out the other side about 2" in diameter.

6.5x55 swede is a really nice cartridge but you need a long action for it.
I have a 6.5x55 swedish mauser and it really doesnt have much recoil at all. A real pleasure to shoot.

Nice thing about the 6.5x55 is you can buy Lapua brass for relatively cheap considering the quality.
Its on sale right now for $67/100 at midway.
260 or 6.5 creedmore will do the same thing though.

6mm is too small for me personally as I like larger bullets.

338 federal is also GTG if you like larger diameter bullets. Its devistating on Deer and hogs but not along range round.
That said with the .338 160 gr TTSX over the right powder you can get 3000 FPS out of it.

Deer and hogs both just flop over dead with that load.

Sounds good to go as .308 is a really nice round.

I also like the 7mm-08 and the 7mm 162 gr Amax is about like the .308 208 gr amax. as far as killing power.
338 federal actually sounds really interesting. Supposing you could actually get 3000 FPS...but Im sure the BC at that weight with that diameter of a bullet would absolutely be terrible.

tammons
04-13-2015, 11:44 PM
Yes you can get 3000 fps out of a 24" bbl in 338 fed.
Its on the barnes load data. With a 338-06 you can get over 3200 FPS.

Its actually such an overkill that I never loaded mine full tilt for hunting.
I just loaded a moderate load at about 2850.

Shot one deer that ran 5 yards and piled up next to a tree.
Blew a softball size lung balloon out the other side.

Last two, Two standing and I shot one deer and it took off like a jack rabbit and I thought I had missed it. 2nd one just stood there so I popped it and it DRT. Went out to get #2 and #1 had run about 5-6 yards and dropped.

Shot several hogs and they just pile up on the spot.

The BC is .342 so not too bad. Pretty flat shooter for a ways.

Out of a 338 fed zero at 200 and 7" low at 300, 21" low at 400.

The 338 fed was extremely popular a few years back and you could find barrels for cheap.
Midway used to stock them and 338-06 barrels.

Now 338 fed barrels are vaporware and hard to find although brownells still sells 338-06 small shank barrels.

lrshooting
04-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Yes you can get 3000 fps out of a 24" bbl in 338 fed.
Its on the barnes load data. With a 338-06 you can get over 3200 FPS.

Its actually such an overkill that I never loaded mine full tilt for hunting.
I just loaded a moderate load at about 2850.

Shot one deer that ran 5 yards and piled up next to a tree.
Blew a softball size lung balloon out the other side.

Last two, Two standing and I shot one deer and it took off like a jack rabbit and I thought I had missed it. 2nd one just stood there so I popped it and it DRT. Went out to get #2 and #1 had run about 5-6 yards and dropped.

Shot several hogs and they just pile up on the spot.

The BC is .342 so not too bad. Pretty flat shooter for a ways.

Out of a 338 fed zero at 200 and 7" low at 300, 21" low at 400.

The 338 fed was extremely popular a few years back and you could find barrels for cheap.
Midway used to stock them and 338-06 barrels.

Now 338 fed barrels are vaporware and hard to find although brownells still sells 338-06 small shank barrels.
http://www.shilen.com/calibersAndTwists.html
Im sure a custom barrel could be made as long as such a place has the reamer.I never knew of that round. Really cool! Maybe Ill look into it. Thats the problem with short action guns is you are pretty limited. I think a 338 lapua would still be the gun I would love to have. Perfect for almost everything I am interested in and I could shoot it a lot. Assuming that I can reload the brass enough times :)

tammons
04-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Yes you can have any barrel made.
Also with 338 fed you can buy American Eagle ammo for less than $20 a box.

338 lapua to me is way overkill for hunting.

Barrel is too long for normal hunting to make the most out of it, too heavy, brass cost is $2.24 per, too much recoil, muzzle break etc.

The 338 edge is a more economical round but you still need a long honkin barrel to get the most out of it.

I think the best long range hunters, and talking like out to 800 yards or so or more than I am willing to shoot at anything but a hog, are the 7mm rifles set up to shoot 180 gr bullets and sort of a tactical hunter, that are still totable. Will shoot way out there and farther than I can without all the 338 Lapua cost weight and recoil. Here is a nice one.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek095.html

The 338-06 is one of the middle bore rounds that has the most whack with moderate recoil.
On a short action a 338-284 wildcat or the 338 RCM magnum is about the same.

mattri
04-14-2015, 02:47 PM
I don't know about moderate recoil in a 338-06. I built one a couple of years ago and it hit like Thor's hammer- on both ends. A buddy's 300 win mag didn't kick that bad, and that same rifle as a 7mm WSM feels like a 223.

tammons
04-14-2015, 05:58 PM
It was probably the stock you were using.
IMO the 338 WM loaded up recoils more. The WM was more like it was a much sharper punch.

A 338-06 moderate load with 160 gr or 185 gr bullet in a duramax stock is not that bad. Mine was about like a heavy 30-06 load and I cant imagine why you would need anything more in most of NA than a 185 gr TTSX.

Full tilt 250 grainers in 338-06 in a factory stock was a bit challenging though.

To me the stock makes a huge difference.

I also had a 375 ruger and a 458 win mag running for a while, both in Duramax stocks and the 375R was very manageable. The 458 WM was no fun off a bench with full loads but standing was okay. I would not even try that one with a factory stock.

lrshooting
04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Yes you can have any barrel made.
Also with 338 fed you can buy American Eagle ammo for less than $20 a box.

338 lapua to me is way overkill for hunting.

Barrel is too long for normal hunting to make the most out of it, too heavy, brass cost is $2.24 per, too much recoil, muzzle break etc.

The 338 edge is a more economical round but you still need a long honkin barrel to get the most out of it.

I think the best long range hunters, and talking like out to 800 yards or so or more than I am willing to shoot at anything but a hog, are the 7mm rifles set up to shoot 180 gr bullets and sort of a tactical hunter, that are still totable. Will shoot way out there and farther than I can without all the 338 Lapua cost weight and recoil. Here is a nice one.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek095.html

The 338-06 is one of the middle bore rounds that has the most whack with moderate recoil.
On a short action a 338-284 wildcat or the 338 RCM magnum is about the same.
Yes, very overkill. But, anything at a range I would feel comfortable shooting animals at can be done with a .308. The 338 would be my ultra long range system for showing off. I did some research and you can get those loads less than a 1.50 if you get enough reloads out of the brass.

I have looked into 7mm though. I plan on having one someday. They seem like a very versatile round.

mattri
04-15-2015, 08:01 AM
Same stock so that probably wasn't a factor. Never tried anything lighter than the 225s in it so can't speak to how they would do.

I think the 338-06 is a fantastic round, just don't think the reports of recoil being "slightly more than a 30-06" were accurate for me.

Everyone responds a little differently, best of luck with your build be sure to keep us updated!

lrshooting
04-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Wish McMillan wasn't quite so back logged...3 months for a flat top. Its worth it though. Guess i better be patient and get what I want then be unpatient and get what i dont want!