PDA

View Full Version : H series long action question

colt56
04-13-2015, 12:27 PM
I picked up a H series long action in 7mm mag. I am wanting to build a hunting rifle and wondered if there any disadvantages to building on that old of an action? It seems to me back in the day folks complained about savages and I wondered if that had anything to do with the old actions. I am putting it in a manners stock so don't want to put a iffy action in a sweet stock. My other builds have all been on J series actions and shoot lights out. Let me know guys thanks

jonbearman
04-13-2015, 05:49 PM
If you have used them before whether short or long it should make no difference.

colt56
04-13-2015, 07:57 PM
Sorry I meant my other builds are on J series actions

darkker
04-16-2015, 01:09 PM
It seems to me back in the day folks complained about savages and I wondered if that had anything to do with the old actions.

No, the reason we have always complained, is because of their abysmal QC. Wasn't a function of A series of actions, simply that you never knew if you were getting a decent thing, or a hang-over-monday assembled item. Seems that no two are ever put together quite the same. Sometimes you get a shooter, which for the money compared to others of the same time period, was a STEAL; and why people "know" Savages shoot. Other times you get a cobbled together series of $200 parts.

colt56
04-16-2015, 05:21 PM
So would you say current qc is better and picking up a newer series of action is the safer route or is it just a crap shoot regardless of the action series?

darkker
04-16-2015, 09:28 PM
No. Savage has always been consistent in that QC is STILL a train wreck. The difference has recently been that the good is better than before. However they had been losing there proverbial shorts; prior to selling to defense contractor ATK.
Whether or not ATK cares about anything outside of their pursuit of Gub'ment contracts, remains to be seen.