PDA

View Full Version : New 338 Lapua target rifle

alphapygmy
04-13-2015, 01:46 AM
Anybody seen one of these close up or shoot one? Looks like a good one to get into the 338 Lapua for the price. It's part number 22448.

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx239/alphapygmy/338lap.jpg_zpsg8axxcau.png (http://s759.photobucket.com/user/alphapygmy/media/338lap.jpg_zpsg8axxcau.png.html)

Bolted
04-14-2015, 04:33 AM
Just bought one off Gun Broker tonight! Should be in my hands in a couple weeks at most I hope. I need help on ordering mounts for it though. I have no experience with the Magnum Target Action, and it doesn't even say if it is drilled and tapped for sights on the Savage website! If it is, what size screws, 8x32, 6x48? Can I put a 20 moa rail on it without ejection/load issues, or am I stuck with two piece bases? I will know more when I get it of course, but I would like to have everything here when it arrives. Any help would be much appreciated, and of course I will be calling the dealer as well as Savage to try to get some answers.

Yes, it seems like a good price for a 338, which is very good, considering how much even reloading for it costs! I will update as I get more info, and will also report on how it shoots.

Dave

alphapygmy
04-14-2015, 02:48 PM
Haha, so you're the punk that bought it right before I went to get it.:smile-new: Just kidding, I'd been eye balling it for 2 days. When I finally made up my mind I got to chatting on the phone with the FFL that does my transfers. When I came back to buy the thing it said SOLD. I want a 338 Lapua but I've had the worst luck. The first one I went to buy the store had accidentally put the tag for the LRH model on a HS Precision model. When they said it was actually $300 more I passed to think on it. Then I saw the 22448 on Gunbroker and thought about that one for 10 minutes too long.... Sometimes there's a down side to not being an impulse buyer. Please let us know how you do with it. There's lots of reviews on the HS Precision model but virtually nothing on this one.

Bolted
04-14-2015, 04:03 PM
Ouch. I wondered why my ears were burning last night! I have kicked myself lots of times for "thinking" about it too long, and maybe only once for an impulse buy. I saw it, hesitated 5min, then bought it. Guy says it's drilled and tapped, so that's good. Can hardly wait. I'm hoping it's a worth the money that I didn't really have, but spent anyway.

alphapygmy
04-14-2015, 08:14 PM
Just make sure you post how it shoots. There's basically zero range reports I can find on this model. I'll be keeping my eye out for another.

WinnieTheBoom
04-14-2015, 09:25 PM
Just bought one off Gun Broker tonight! Should be in my hands in a couple weeks at most I hope. I need help on ordering mounts for it though. I have no experience with the Magnum Target Action, and it doesn't even say if it is drilled and tapped for sights on the Savage website! If it is, what size screws, 8x32, 6x48? Can I put a 20 moa rail on it without ejection/load issues, or am I stuck with two piece bases? I will know more when I get it of course, but I would like to have everything here when it arrives. Any help would be much appreciated, and of course I will be calling the dealer as well as Savage to try to get some answers.

Yes, it seems like a good price for a 338, which is very good, considering how much even reloading for it costs! I will update as I get more info, and will also report on how it shoots.

Dave

Should just be the standard 110 LA receiver, not sure why it would be any different... I have a Nightforce 20 MOA base that you can try out if you'd like.

Bolted
04-14-2015, 10:02 PM
That's my line of thought on it. I'm going to just order one. If it doesn't work for some reason, I can put it on one of my other rifles. Thank you for the offer to let me try yours WinnieTheBoom, I very much appreciate it. If you are at all interested in selling it though, please let me know!

Dave

Hotolds442
04-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Should just be the standard 110 LA receiver, not sure why it would be any different... I have a Nightforce 20 MOA base that you can try out if you'd like.
It is NOT the standard 110 LA receiver. It's built on a larger shank receiver. The standard LA receiver cannot support the additional diameter of the Lapua cartridge and its additional bolt thrust. I could be wrong but I know that the bolt heads for the Lapua action are .550" thick vs. the magnum actions that measure .500", both are large shank actions. Savage had to re-engineer the action and the tooling for the action and bolt head to accommodate the Lapua cartridge. They wouldn't have spent the R&D money if it weren't necessary. I'd spend some time on the phone with Jim at NSS to get a feel for what's necessary.

Bolted
04-15-2015, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the info. I have talked to 3 suppliers, and all said 110 they ''think". No definite answers. I will try NSS.

Bolted
04-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Ok. Here is the scoop. I talked to Savage, and they confirmed that the 112 338 will NOT accept 110 LA bases. They also said "good luck" finding anyone that is making them yet.

I called EGW next, and they were very helpful. The new Savage takes the same bases as a 110 LA EXCEPT, it uses #8 screws instead of #6. So basically all you need to do is Ream or drill out the holes in a 110 LA base to accept the larger diameter #8 screws. They also said that Ken Farrell may have some in stock, although I did not call to confirm that. (EGW and a drill bit works for me).

WinnieTheBoom
04-15-2015, 06:15 PM
ygpm, bolted.

mattri
04-17-2015, 09:02 PM
Very interested in this. Hope it is as awesome as it looks/sounds.