PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: FV upgrade pointers

Redface
04-12-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm in the final stages of an upgrade to my Mark II-FV. The barrel has been threaded for a suppressor, I have a tacticool stock and a new Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40.

1) When I sent the barrel off for the machine work, I separated the barrel from the receiver. Since then, I read a thread on here saying not to. Should I be prepared for issues when I put it all back together? Edit - Mine didn't really seem press fit...it was all being held together with the pins.

2) I don't expect to change the optics. Should I use the weaver rails, or upgrade to a DNZ products game reaper mount?

3) Are there any good bedding tutorials specific to the mark ii on the web? I've searched but I've only found generic examples. This would be my first attempt at bedding.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and respond (hopefully). I'm looking forward to punching holes in paper downrange.

Mozella
04-17-2015, 05:15 AM
.......... snip ............
3) Are there any good bedding tutorials specific to the mark ii on the web? I've searched but I've only found generic examples. This would be my first attempt at bedding.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and respond (hopefully). I'm looking forward to punching holes in paper downrange.

There is a search engine called Google. It's great. Try loading Google and then typing "Bedding Savage MKII". You'll find all sorts of references specific to your rifle.

If you look HERE (http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571847), you'll find my own take on bedding an FV in a Boyd's stock including how I made an aluminum "keel" to strengthen and stiffen the aggressively inletted Boyd's stock.

Read all you can before you start and think through the process. It's actually easy, but you can screw it up if you do something stupid. Just use common sense and you'll be just fine.

While you have your rifle disassembled, be sure to install the Apachee trigger kit. It's one of the best things you can do and it's well worth the money, time, and effort.

justinp61
05-03-2015, 08:54 AM
There is a ton of Savage info here http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24.

I'm using the factory bases on my BTVLSS and it shoots great, I'm afraid to bed or pillar it.

Two things I recommend, heavy bottom metal (I made mine) and as Mozella mentioned the Apachee trigger kit. I got one when Dale first introduced them, great addition IMO.

short round
05-03-2015, 11:42 PM
Check the pins, they may be tapered & go in from one side.

JCalhoun
05-08-2015, 02:09 PM
I have used the DNZ mount on my Mark II for several years. Very satisfied with it.

As the bedding, it's a pretty generic subject. Just make sure you read the instructions a few times FIRST.