PDA

View Full Version : 110 action length

DrThunder88
04-11-2015, 03:01 AM
When determining the cartridges a rifle can feed and fire, what goes into determining the rifle's action length and, therefore, the maximum OAL for a cartridge? I'm specifically thinking along the lines of the human-powered portion of the action, as I know the magazine box will provide an upper limit of its own. Is it bolt travel? The length of the ejection port?

My question stems from a piqued interest in .375 H&H and that conventional wisdom is that it is too long a cartridge for the 110. Indeed Savage does not currently carry any guns in that caliber, though this was not evidently always the case. In one online discussion (http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=620155) I found in my research, a fellow measured his standard 110's bolt travel and ejection port as longer than the .375 H&H OAL of 3.6". That leads me to believe that it is the magazine that prevents Savage from producing rifles in that chambering, but is there something else mechanical preventing it?

short round
04-11-2015, 11:21 AM
375 H&H brass is 2.850" should not be any problem with ejection. Rim is 0.5320" Dia., so you need to research bolt head.

KRP
04-11-2015, 07:59 PM
It can be/has been done and wouldn't take much work, lack of market is I'm sure why they don't offer it from the factory anymore. They don't offer RUM/STW/Lazzeroni/SMC/etc. cartridges anymore either...bit of a niche market.