View Full Version : Troubles with Sightron 10-50x60 Installation

Pages : 1 [2]

md80captain
04-19-2015, 01:14 PM
I have a one piece base

earl39
04-19-2015, 04:15 PM
I have a one piece base

When you installed the base did you check to make sure it mated to the receiver correctly? As in place the forward most screw in and just snug it down and look to make sure the base fit good and snug and then do the same with just the rear most screw before firmly attaching it. This is done with just one screw in the base at a time.
If it doesn't fit snug both ways the receiver or the base is warped a little and a little can go a long way in making a scope look bad.

md80captain
04-19-2015, 05:23 PM
When you installed the base did you check to make sure it mated to the receiver correctly? As in place the forward most screw in and just snug it down and look to make sure the base fit good and snug and then do the same with just the rear most screw before firmly attaching it. This is done with just one screw in the base at a time.
If it doesn't fit snug both ways the receiver or the base is warped a little and a little can go a long way in making a scope look bad.

The way I installed it (the base) initially was to attach the front first (on the round part of the receiver) with a layer of JB weld under the rear (flat part) of the receiver with the screws in loose on the rear.
After JB weld set up then tightened rear screws. Part of the problem was attaching the front first. I have since removed the base and attached the rear (on the flat part) and then filled the front. This has cured the elevation issue, but I still have a severe windage issue. By using maximum adjustment of the rings I am able to get the crosshairs centered now (by boresighting), but am using up most of my right windage adjustment to do so. I'm going to take it out to the range tomorrow and see just how actually shooting does. I'm confident that I'm at least on the paper for now with the eyeball boresighting.

Bottom line: it really sucks that this scope only has 50 MOA total adjustment. Somehow I missed that when I was doing research on the thing. Really should be more like 150 MOA. Now I wish I had ordered the mil-dot reticle cause now I'm just guessing if I have to hold over. Anyway, we'll see how the range session goes. Probably gonna put this thing on Ebay here pretty soon and look at something else.

md80captain
04-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Something else to mention. The 30mm Zee rings only come with +/- 10 or 0 inserts. If they had the +/- 20 for the 30 like the 1" rings I'd be in good shape. That being said, depending on what happens at the range tomorrow, there is one more thing I can do. That is put a shim under one side of the mount to correct windage. I would use JB weld as filler as before. I should be able to make any further corrections this way. I'm guessing what was said earlier is likely correct, my receiver is twisted.

md80captain
04-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Range report: Took it out and was quite surprised how close my bore sighting was. All said and done I have it on the center of the target at 100 yards with MAXIMUM offset of the zee rings (20MOA) and about 12-14 MOA left windage adjustment from the turrets. Bummer is I only have about 10 MOA of additional left adjustment available. I might go ahead and live with it for now, but it does bother me. The only kosher way I can see to finally solve the windage problem would be to machine a little tilt into the bottom of my base.

md80captain
04-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Okay I have decided to go ahead and send the scope back and make absolutely sure it is not the problem. Only other thing that makes any sense is that the receiver is twisted. I did a quick search and this was mentioned back in 2011 specifically "Fred @ SSS" being able to correct the problem.
Does anyone know about this and if I can send it off to get fixed?

dukers
04-29-2015, 11:17 AM
Another thing worth considering is your action lug and or barrel nut not being ground square. I've encountered this with factory and after market lugs and nuts. I have had very good luck with the nuts and lugs sold by Jim at NSS.

md80captain
05-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Scope came back and it's fine as I suspected. Time for a new receiver. This time I'll do the barrel change myself. I'm convinced the shop I sent it to bent it, but I'm also doubtful they'll make it right so I'm not going to even bother telling them.

JW
05-06-2015, 06:59 AM
Send the action to Sharpshooter, more than likely he can fix it

scope eye
05-06-2015, 07:18 AM
I have fixed a few of mine and they have turned out fine.

Dean