PDA

View Full Version : One way to fix the thin laminate area on DBM guns

missed
04-10-2015, 07:52 PM
Well I got tired of the cracking on my Boyd's Tacticool/ pro varmint laminated stock. Mine is one of the colored ones that is supposed to be harder material. I think between the half hole at the back and the limited amount of material there.

I decided to make an aluminum bedding block for it and carve out the stock to fit it.

The block machining went well and it is easy to make for one of these guns.

Removing the reinforcing pin in the Boyd's stocks sucks. It's thin tubing that even a brand new non coated carbide end mill grabs ahold of it and shoves it out the side of the stock. Drilling through the stock can also be a challenge, as sharp twist drill bits don't work well as it wants to grab a layer of laminate. I don't know what would be the best way to drill it. I'll end up with some black poly filler in the stock. But oh well.... I'm definitely not a wood worker.

Now for the important part.....
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/10/6ca8e95df61e0b9b7a98bb379aeb7ed9.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/10/5ab319ff3a0b454284df5d64ddab2424.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/10/b75e6d04260b4d0b5c216f1f43fecc5e.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/04/10/b93ad7819de92412a79c613082ef22ef.jpg

If I did it again I would have made the bedding block long enough to go inferrin in front of the recoil lug, back to the end of the tang, and have the block, bottom metal, and trigger guard all one piece.

I didn't have a piece of aluminum big enough and didn't want to wait till next week for it to show up.

GaCop
04-11-2015, 07:15 AM
Beautiful work!

sixonetonoffun
04-11-2015, 09:01 AM
I really like the idea and hope Boyds will see the light. It would end all the drilling and bedding with one premium option.

missed
04-11-2015, 11:41 AM
It would be easy for Boyd's to change the g code to accept the block. There wood mills should be able to handle aluminum, but if the demand is there they could farm out the aluminum fabrication to a CNC shop. I figured a 100 piece run could have the block under $100. I hate bedding rifles, and have seen no difference between the block and a good bedding job. I look at it this way, I don't think you can get a rifle pillar bedded for less than $100 from a good gun smith. If this would add $150 to a cost of a stock it would be a no brainier. Look at the Choate with the block in it, or like a chassis system, or the accustock.....

sixonetonoffun
04-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Yep and they could set the price at 299 for a basic laminate.... we'd be falling over each other to get em.

Draftpick
04-16-2015, 04:44 PM
Yep and they could set the price at 299 for a basic laminate.... we'd be falling over each other to get em.

Do you think a laminate with a block at $299 is a better option than a chaote at $229?

missed
04-16-2015, 05:12 PM
Do you think a laminate with a block at $299 is a better option than a chaote at $229?
Personal preference at that point.

Plastic vs wood

Black vs almost any imaginable color.

I really like the look of my green camo laminate. I prefer the wood in the temperature extremes over black plastic also.

DrThunder88
04-17-2015, 11:10 AM
Great work so far!

missed
04-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Thanks! I almost have the inventor file done for one monolithic bedding block, bottom metal, trigger guard.....

sixonetonoffun
04-17-2015, 11:27 AM
I prefer wood then laminate with plastics coming in last. Haven't owned a chassis yet but see they are less a nitch and more of a growing trend. So it stands to reason the others will have to improve to keep their market share from shrinking.

Your all in one should be very interesting!

missed
04-17-2015, 11:37 AM
I prefer wood then laminate with plastics coming in last. Haven't owned a chassis yet but see they are less a nitch and more of a growing trend. So it stands to reason the others will have to improve to keep their market share from shrinking.
I think part of the growing chassis trend is all the junk the Tacticool crowd likes to hang off it like a bolt action ar.

Benchrest is still pretty much all wood of some sort on the line, most f class is also. The tactical rifle shoots I have gone to are the majority composite stocks. I have thought about a very short MDT LSS or a cut down a pro varmint. Talking to the guys at the tactical shoots many of them don't like chassis on the fact that your thumb has to pull back to run the bolt. All the top guys had composite tactical stocks.

Boyds is trying to run in that lower end market. Your not going to get anything else in the price range. Any of the "nice" laminate stocks are going to be $500+ and even more for solid wood plus an ungodly lead time. For example that new stock thread with the beautiful two wood, I bet that would be a $2000+ stock from one of the stock builders.

sixonetonoffun
04-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Yeah I don't see a fine fajen on my short list for a savage. Not huge on the tacticool stuff either but underneath? Light and stable do appeal to me. The older I get, the stronger the appeal.