PDA

View Full Version : Extreme long range caliber choice?

Pages : 1 [2]

LongRange
04-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Coming from someone that just built an Edge, check into brass before making that decision. It's impossible to find 300RUM brass right now.

big part of why i didnt build an edge here.

Can't see hunting with something setup for range work. Seems to me you really need 2 more rifles. Too many compromises in the 1 gun plan. Unless your hunting with yobuck.

im not a hunter but arent most elk shot at like 4-500yds+? if so id be shooting prone anyway so a range set up would work fine but i see what you guys are talking about if packing in and trying to stay on the lighter side.

Guns are like women, their all nice but some are nicer than others for different uses lol.
And i would dare not have said that in presence of my late wife.
A 300 win mag cost the same to build as a 338 edge or 338x378.
But a blind man can see the difference in performance when shooting long distances across valleys from mountain to mountain.
A 300 win mag would be among the top group of guns id own for shots on game up to 1000 yds and maybe a little further
in some parts of the country. You can haul a ton of shingles on a half ton pickup and get away with it most times also.
But your only gonna need 1 time wishing you had a bigger one to change your mind on whats enough truck.
Same goes with guns when hunting long range. Remember this, most hunters only talk about their kills. And very good groups lol.

i agree with everything you said especially the part about not having enough riffle to get the job done(or truck)...also about hunters talking about kills and skipping over all the misses.

Stockrex
04-13-2015, 01:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY0w1c-gf18

Rooster 50
04-13-2015, 11:05 PM
If thats the girl I think it is she is the real deal with that 243. My buddy(who I believe is her brother ) guides on the Jicarilla and owns a couple of those Greybull rifles in 243 and 7mm Rem.
The 7mm is amazing at 1000yds with 180gr Berger bullets. That however is pretty much the max for that rifle and that bullet for killing Elk.