PDA

View Full Version : new redfeilds

scott597
05-16-2010, 09:48 AM
anyone tried one of the new redfeild revolutions? I'm looking for a decent 4-12x40 for around 200$ and these seem to fit the bill, but the non adjustable obj. concerns me a little. how will the targets look at 200 yds plus? just wondering i don't have alot of "long range" experience and was wondering if this is an issue. thanks

Don - LongRangeSupply
05-16-2010, 11:32 AM
I don't like a non adjustable parallax scope over about 7x to 9x.

The target image at 10-12x is too fuzzy for me when closer or further away than the factory preset distance which is normally around 150 yards. I can get around the parallax issue by moving my eye further back on the stock to create some tunnel vision, then centering that image circle in the scope but there is nothing you can do about the out of focus target image.

If you are getting this for precision long shooting rather than big game hunting I would suggest getting something with parallax focus. A bit more magnification would be good too, at least 14x, preferably 16x or higher.

hotbrass
05-16-2010, 08:17 PM
I have the 4-12x50 and I like it. But it is one of the two or three scopes I have that do not have a AO. It would be a killer if it had an AO.

I am real impressed with the glass. It is an excellent scope for the price.

I have not shot anything in the field yet, but off the bench at 200 it is crystal clear.

I currently have it on my .308 sporter.

http://webpages.charter.net/hotbrass/stevens.jpg

scott597
05-16-2010, 10:48 PM
thanks for the input guys, by the way is that a stocky's sporter thumbhole? i just ordered one this morn and can't wait for it to get here, thanks again. i wonder if the redfeild guys plan on coming out with an AO in their line up?

hotbrass
05-17-2010, 01:07 PM
That is a Stocky Tundra. I have two and I like them. Easy to bed the front but not the back of the action. Pillar bedding the back is difficult because there is so little wood there. So I just remove the wood and bed a pillar in epoxy, then grind off the epoxy that is in the way of the trigger parts.