PDA

View Full Version : New B&C Savage M40 Style Riflestock request for range reports

choclabs
04-09-2015, 01:07 PM
There are several active threads going in support of some of our members who have actually received this stock and have also already gone to the range. I would like to propose that the forum members who are buying these new stocks share with us their range reports in this thread. That way we can have a one stop shopping location to see what they are experiencing.

These stocks appear to have been machined at the factory in such a manner that the aluminum bedding block is making as much contact with the bottom surface of the action that is possible. This will obviously promote a stronger bond between action and stock resulting in a better harmonic dampening effect. The net result may actually be a more consistent group size spread out over a broader selection of factory loaded ammo. It may also improve group size relative to the already great results from the factory AccuStocks that many of these new B&C stocks are replacing. It would be helpful if these members would share with us action screw torque settings they are using, inletting clearance issues overcome, factory versus aftermarket trigger used etc.

Hopefully we will be able to collect this experience from many of you and share it all with many more of us in a manner that is easier than tracking several different threads?

Thanks to any and all of you that agree and choose to post or re-post their experiences here.

mikgarus
04-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Good idea. I'll be watching as I plan to get one of these stocks this summer.

choclabs
04-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Thanks - I am sure that once many on the forum get a wind of this drop in and use factory DBM after market stock swap out option, that there will be more range reports to compare data from.

BTW - My other similar thread "B&C Medalist for Model 10 with bottom bolt release & factory DBM" has some B&C factory closeup pics of these bedding jobs down a ways on the first page, compliments of Gunner75.

huntnm2001
04-09-2015, 04:31 PM
I emailed b&c asking them to make this stock for long actions. Doubt they will but I figured if enough people bugged them about long action options they might think about it

BarrelNuts
04-11-2015, 03:49 AM
Got one in OD for my current .260 build project; still waiting for the barrel to come in but so far here is what I've noticed:

-as Choclabs said the aluminum bedding block is a pretty solid fit between the action and the block. During test fitting things seem to marry up pretty tight; I'm still undecided on whether to do a skim coat of glass bedding or not... as the block seems to cradle the action pretty well I don't think it will be necessary
-bottom metal fits snugly but goes in without any excess inlet work needing done
-there is no pilot hole drilled for the rear screw that secures the trigger guard; for those averse to operating a drill press that may be a problem but should be a fairly simple "problem" to fix

After I get it all together I'm going to put some factory ammo through it to tweak screw tension and make up my mind about the skim coat... will let everyone know what we are looking like when I get it all together

GaCop
04-11-2015, 07:13 AM
Got one in OD for my current .260 build project; still waiting for the barrel to come in but so far here is what I've noticed:

-as Choclabs said the aluminum bedding block is a pretty solid fit between the action and the block. During test fitting things seem to marry up pretty tight; I'm still undecided on whether to do a skim coat of glass bedding or not... as the block seems to cradle the action pretty well I don't think it will be necessary
-bottom metal fits snugly but goes in without any excess inlet work needing done
-there is no pilot hole drilled for the rear screw that secures the trigger guard; for those averse to operating a drill press that may be a problem but should be a fairly simple "problem" to fix

After I get it all together I'm going to put some factory ammo through it to tweak screw tension and make up my mind about the skim coat... will let everyone know what we are looking like when I get it all together Looking forward to your range report.

choclabs
04-11-2015, 10:29 AM
I emailed b&c asking them to make this stock for long actions. Doubt they will but I figured if enough people bugged them about long action options they might think about it

I'm all ears fellas. Ask away. Please keep in mind we built this rifle stock to accommodate the mass selection of Savage rifles produced. There are many accuracy improvements over what we offer. Tang float, bedding, etc. This stock was created from customer demand.

RE: B&C upcoming support for the Savage Long Action rifles.

This message below is from Gunner75 and he posted his e-mail address as wade_dunn@sbcglobal.net for specific questions that he has not replied to on this forum. Contact him regarding specific upcoming versions for the long actions.

We are about to release the #1017 Sporter LA DM rifle stock as well. Once again, answered buy request of many here. Keep em coming, we are doing what we can.

***The factory DM unit fit is pretty snug. Good reason for this. Variation. The majority of units we have bolted up to our stocks have been snug but fit. A few have been a bit off and they require some light contouring of the radius corners at the rear of the magbox and rear trigger guard inlet. .030" is about max on clearance.

Basspond
04-11-2015, 01:24 PM
I installed mine on my .223 Model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter, replacing the tupperware camo stock. As previously mentioned the DBM fit was snug, but required no modifications. The trigger guard fit was a little more than snug and I had to shave just a hair off the inlet to the rear. It dropped right in after that. The B&C stock mounted fine with the stock action screws and I torqued to 65 in. lbs.

Now I am an amateur at the whole rifle thing. I have been waterfowl hunting forever but just recently got into rifles so this is actually my first one. I wanted something relatively inexpensive to plink with and from talking to people at the range and research the Savage looked to fit the bill. I was very happy with it before the stock change and I am even happier now. With the heavier varmint barrel it was very barrel heavy with the original stock. Now with the B&C the gun seems much more balanced. All of the new metal pieces helped with that as well.

Here was my best three shot group from today using Hornady 55 grain off the shelf ammo.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q268/Basspond/IMG_3775.jpg

It's like a new gun and I'm very happy with it.

choclabs
04-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Question - did you get these type of groups with the factory AccuStock?

Nice shooting and thanks for posting your range report. The .223 Rem is again affordable to shoot. With your factory barrel showing a 1:9 rate of twist, you should be able to stabilize a 73 or possibly up to 75grn bullet weight. Please refer to this for more info. http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/

If your rifle likes any of the 62gn Barnes TSX or 62gr Fusion or other bonded bullets you will have a deep penetration bullet for game hunting with proper shot placement. If you are lucky enough to be able to shoot the 75gr Hornady BTHP that is another heavy hitter but much more necessary to have accurate shot placement for kills (lung shots) as the bullet is not designed to hold together. Those 55gr Hornady are great for coyotes. Keep us posted on what works out for you.

If you shoot Barnes bullets be sure to clean your barrel often, these are prone to copper fouling (reduction in accuracy) soon, but offer great accuracy and are heavy hitters as they open up to pinwheels and enlarge their wound channels without loosing the petals.

Basspond
04-11-2015, 06:45 PM
I was shooting slightly worse groups with the factory stock, but it was not the Accustock, just the plain molded stock.

BarrelNuts
04-16-2015, 12:14 AM
One thing I neglected to mention earlier which might help some out if considering the stock: The channel is definitely built for bull/varmint contour barrels. There is absolutely enough clearance for the 26" varmint contour shilen I am putting in with extra room if you wanted to put in a bull.

-If they start offering this in a LA my .25-06 is probably going to end up sporting one before too long; after I finish the current project I plan on rebarreling and re-stocking it. The dimensions of the stock feel really good to me, the price is right, and lets face it the spider-web is pretty darn sexy looking.