PDA

View Full Version : Want New Gun-Need Ideas

SteelerNation
04-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Hi Guys:

I have a Savage 12 FTR that I really enjoy shooting. I had an idea to pick up another rifle for working on my technique in shooting tight groups.

I want:

1. Bolt action
2. Bull barrel
3. .17 HMR or Hornet
4. A 'Nice' Wood stock that I can bed (don't want polymer, really), or is pillar bedded from the factory
5. Doesn't feel like a 'toy' in my hand...i.e. has some beef to it (maybe weigh 7-8 lbs at least)
6. Use strictly for punching holes in paper at 100-300 yard MAX, but mostly 100 yards :p
(PS) 7.Oh...I may be willing to go up to .223 chambering too. I'm reloading soon so I'd be willing to consider that.

Came up with a decision between a Savage (model...?), Ruger 77/17, Marlin, Browning T bolt, Remmy 700 (in stated caliber).

I just want some ideas from you guys. Maybe some of you own one of the models I'm looking at.....

My Price range is about 700$ or under.

I'm open to suggestions!

PS. I'm going to scope it too....

Thanks,

Mike

Rosco
04-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Did the same thing myself about 4 months ago, I picked a Savage 93R17 BV with the Wood laminate stock from Palmetto State Armory. The original goal was to use this rifle as a trainer gun to practice positional shooting and marksmanship fundamentals which I do, but it has ended up being a real pleasure to shoot, is very accurate and ammo is not to expensive either. So now I am planning on taking it out on some rabbit/squirrel hunts here in Kentucky. Hell, maybe I will knab a coyote!!

The 17 Hornet was on the list as well, but the 93 was just to good of deal to pass up at the holidays. Now I hear the 17 Hornet in Walking Varmiter comes with a $50.00 rebate so it may be worth it if you can find one on clearance.

savgebolt
04-11-2015, 11:48 AM
steeler,,,,,,,i have the bv model 93 in 17hmr ,,i really like it ,,,,, if i got another i would get the brj,,,,i think the comb on the stock may be higher,,,,better cheek weld, ,,,,and it has a rubber butt pad that wont slip around on your shoulder,,,,,the hummer is the only way to go, ammo everywhere,,,,,,,,ive NEVER seen 17 hornet on a store shelf,,,,,, good luck

JCalhoun
05-01-2015, 04:07 PM
I have the .22lr version of the BRJ. I think a .17HMR version of it would make a great trainer.