PDA

View Full Version : Scope base alignment problem

medic727
05-15-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm having a bit of a problem with, I'm assuming, scope base alignment on my Model 12 F-Class. The one-piece base, rings and scope are all Nightforce. When I've got my scope zeroed, on a calm day, my windage adjustment is ~12moa right of center. According to Nightforce tech support it shouldn't be more than 1-2moa, if not zero. The base screws down to the action without any of the screws binding. When the rings are mounted the scope drops into the lower rings without any binding, or apparent mis-alignment. All the screws are torqued to specs. The scope tracks perfectly. What's the chance that my action has the base mounting screws holes located incorrectly right from the factory? Any history of Savage having problems with the mounting holes? I wish I still worked as a tool and die maker. Then I'd have the tools and instruments to measure and correct the problem.

rjtfroggy
05-15-2010, 10:57 PM
It would not be a first for Savage or any other gun maker, but to be fair it could also be the nightforce set up. Do you have any other bases and rings to check it.Also maybe try a different scope, it wouldn't be unheard of to have a scope that isn't quite right.

hotbrass
05-16-2010, 12:54 AM
I would take it all off and check all mating surfaces and then reassemble.

This has happened to me before and sometimes it just goes together different. You might try swapping the rings.

Good luck!

bpratl
05-16-2010, 06:04 AM
I spent a lot of time on a similar problem.....it's not an uncommon problem with Savage's. Check out the following.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,27624.msg197629.html#msg197629

medic727
05-16-2010, 10:39 AM
bpratl: Thanks for the link.
The solution I've seen the most often is bedding the base. I can see how bedding would compensate for a vertically bent/warped base. My question is: how would bedding fix a windage problem? How would you align the base? I also saw a solution where the base was filed to shift the ring. This sounds interesting. But, instead of filing the base I'll file the dovetail on the ring. Not yet, but if I've exhausted other possiblities.

Sending the rifle in to Savage is another possibily. I live about 1.5hrs. from the factory. But, I don't want to lose my rifle for 2-3 weeks. Worst case, I leave everything "as is" until the season is over, then send it in. I still have ~9moa windage adjustment right now.

BobT
05-16-2010, 12:03 PM
Did you lap the rings? There are tools you can get to check the ring alignment and that is probably the route I would take first, I made a set of alignment rods from 1" aluminum tubing, I faced the ends on the lathe and all I have to do is put one piece in each ring and butt them together between the rings. Then I can simply feel any mismatch between the rods, if I have any it is a simple matter to measure it with a micrometer and make the necessary corrections from there. You can also use Burris Signature rings to correct the problem.

Bob

bpratl
05-16-2010, 05:16 PM
bpratl: Thanks for the link.
My question is: how would bedding fix a windage problem?
Sending the rifle in to Savage is another possibily. I live about 1.5hrs. from the factory. But, I don't want to lose my rifle for 2-3 weeks. Worst case, I leave everything "as is" until the season is over, then send it in. I still have ~9moa windage adjustment right now.

I ended up using a Leopold base that has windage adjustment and I adjusted windage by the base when the scope was zeroed. Worked well and I how have complete adjustments.
I don't think that Savage will do anything to fix your problem as long as the rifle shoots and groups to their spec. They never corrected mine and returned it with no explanation on their tests. Good luck.

oldguy
06-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Had same problem with my Savage 12 BTVS, worked over a period of months, different mounts,scopes,without serious shimming it was a no go, returned to savage and they replaced barrel with little explanation, gun was returned I mounted scope with standard bases and rings was on target in 3 rounds. I thought received was warped, holes misaligned, etc, she is a shooter now with consistent .350 groups @100 yards.(223cal).