PDA

View Full Version : Another Axis project

fgw_in_fla
04-08-2015, 07:44 AM
I'm putting another Axis project together. It's going to be a companion for my beloved '06.

It's time to play:

"Pick - A - Trigger"

Typically I like to use the Accu-Trigger. I like the safety blade feature.
On this next one I think I want to go a different direction. I guess my options are Timney and that other one that I can never remember the name of.

I like a trigger set up with a light pull. (Light = under 2lb pull)
What are you guys using and WHY.

Help yer 'ol Uncle Frank out here.

LoneWolf
04-08-2015, 09:47 AM
I ran the rifle basic SAV-1. Ran very nice for me. Everyone who took a turn on my Axis loved it.

Rosco
04-08-2015, 09:57 AM
It's the Rifle basix SAV-1. I would tell you how much I like it but I haven't had a chance to install it yet. The reason I didn't go with the Timney was number one it was a little bit more expensive and number two I heard that there have been some problems installing Timneys into Boyds stocks. Plus since I am on a budget and was buying Boyds the SAV-1 was a no brainer.

fgw_in_fla
04-08-2015, 10:14 AM
Someone tell me how they act when adjusting. Easy to get along with?
How's the trigger feel against your finger? Smooth as silk or rough like Russian burlap?

Sarge, I think I recall you mentioning a bit of experience with the SAV-1. How's the installation? Adjusts easily? Stays adjusted?

Lay some "know" on me.

LoneWolf
04-08-2015, 10:34 AM
I installed it with my then 2 month old son sitting in my lap. That's how easy it was. Tuning was easy, but was much more consistent after dropping it in the SSS stock. Tighter tolerances maybe? I never touched it again until I parted out the rifle over a year and 1500rds later. I wish it was a little bit wider and flatter, but it's a great trigger if you use the very tip of your finger.

I'm running remmy style triggers now which I prefer due to their wider flatter characteristics. (and for those reading to far into that I'm not running a Savage action)

fgw_in_fla
04-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Thanks Sarge.

That's the kind of info / input I needed.
Much like yourself, I prefer a wider blade trigger so that'll be a consideration.

Getting it set up "just so" is an issue for me. I like them on the lighter side of 2lbs. Way lighter.
For about a year I had my 25.06 set so light it was impossible to teach anyone with it. As soon as they'd pull the accu-trigger safety and bump the trigger it would torch off a round. It was fine for me but everyone - especially the 'lil woman - hated it.

Thanks again.

LoneWolf
04-08-2015, 11:34 AM
I ran it at about 1.5 lbs by the way.

DrThunder88
04-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Is it bump-safe when it's set that low?

LoneWolf
04-08-2015, 11:51 AM
I took it all the way down to failure then slowly increased the weight until I found the sweet spot. Then I further tested by bouncing it on the butt stock and squeezing the trigger while the safety was engaged as hard as I could. If it passes those two tests I'll run it.

rick3
04-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Thanks Sarge.

That's the kind of info / input I needed.
Much like yourself, I prefer a wider blade trigger so that'll be a consideration.

Getting it set up "just so" is an issue for me. I like them on the lighter side of 2lbs. Way lighter.
For about a year I had my 25.06 set so light it was impossible to teach anyone with it. As soon as they'd pull the accu-trigger safety and bump the trigger it would torch off a round. It was fine for me but everyone - especially the 'lil woman - hated it.

Thanks again.

Dumb question here, but...since I tend to see stuff like JBWeld as a solution to all kinds of problems, couldn't you just "build-up" the trigger blade to be wider/flatter with JBWeld (or that other thicker metal stuff, which I can't remember the name of right now) on any trigger that had the other features you like? I mean, there's not going to be a lot of pressure/torque on the trigger...

LoneWolf
04-08-2015, 11:56 AM
I don't prefer any of these type of fixes for mechanical parts, you could do it, but you would probably have to modify the stock to get it in and out as well.

rick3
04-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Ahhh, had not thought of that!

Edzzed
04-09-2015, 02:00 AM
I too have a Riflebasix Sav-1 on my axis. I have never compared or tried the Timney so can't comment there. As for the Sav-1, Best money spent in a while. When it lets go it lets go and although the stock trigger did the same thing. I like that's it's easier to squeeze to let the bullet fly. Being a newb to guns, The reason I swapped triggers was for lightening up pull. Anything to optimize accuracy.

fgw_in_fla
04-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Anybody try the trigger that is made by SSS?

LoneWolf
04-09-2015, 07:58 AM
I don't believe it fits the Axis because of the Axis's different trigger housing.

fgw_in_fla
04-09-2015, 08:38 AM
I noticed it doesn't mention Axis in his info but I thought I'd use it on a 110 rifle & snag the AccuTrigger for the Axis.

Kinda like playing "musical triggers" - when the music stops grab a rifle and stick a trigger in it.