PDA

View Full Version : 10 FLCP-K in route

buginout
05-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Well I did it. I put my $$ down on a 10 FLCP-K in .308 today. this will be my first real LR rifle. Being a lefty on a tight budget I had limited options. After buying this and some glass I wont have any much in the way of funds for modifications and this gun has a great rep for being a decent shooter out of the box. its no GAP or AI but it will get me in the game and I'll still get to sleep in the big bed (you married guys know what I mean). Now I'm shopping for glass while I wait or it to come it.

LeeH
05-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Welcome to the "Sickness"....

BUT you will love it........

Uncle Jack
05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
For you first dedicated left hand rifle you chose well. The 10FLCP-K is an excellent rifle in both .223 and .308. You have an Accutrigger and an Accustock and a DBM and a fluted barrel with a muzzle break all in one off the shelf gun. I do not know, but I suspect that LE series 10FLCP-Ks get a little more attention at the factory that the run of the mill sporter rifles.

I have three of them.....a .223, a .308, and a custom shop 110FLCP-K .300 Win Mag. They are all very accurate and I believe they are finest out of the box rifles I have ever bought.

Take your time. Buy some good glass and just shoot it.

uj

buginout
05-16-2010, 06:33 AM
I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas now. I did a lot of looking around before I decided on this gun. Its a little more than I was looking to spend but in the long run I'll be ahead of the game having a decent trigger that i can tune myself along with some of the other specs that should make it a great shooter right out of the box. I figure its a gun I can grow into, meaning it will shoot much better than I do.

As far as glass goes what should I be looking at as far a magnification goes to get the most out of this .308? I have several ranges close by that I can shoot 500-100 yrds. I'd like to learn mil dot ranging and I'm on a bit of a tight budget at the moment. I know people say save up and buy the best glass you can afford but I'm just not going to be able to wait long enough to save the $$$ for a $1000 scope. What will most likely happen is a inexpensive or used scope to get me shooting while I save up for a quality piece of glass.

rjtfroggy
05-16-2010, 06:50 AM
If this is strictly a target gun(punching paper) I would suggest a fixed power scope, either 10x,16x,20x.As for price and good quality look at the Super Sniper brand from SWFA cost $300 but are better than the price would indicate.
If it is a combination gun,hunting/target the a decent variable in the 4-16 range would be the way to go and there are plenty of them to choose from Vortex,Weaver,Mueller.Nikon,the list goes on.
What ever you choose buy good base and rings to go with it. I would recommend Egw for a 1 piece or Burris XTR for a 2 piece and for rings the Burris XTR rings for either bases.

buginout
05-17-2010, 05:14 PM
What ever you choose buy good base and rings to go with it. I would recommend Egw for a 1 piece or Burris XTR for a 2 piece and for rings the Burris XTR rings for either bases.

Is a one piece base going to be better than a two piece? what should I order for rings to use with a Leupold Vari X III 3.5x10x50 with buttler Creek covers? I see Burris has Savage round or flat rear listed for their site.

Snakum
05-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Congrats on the FCP-K. You'll love it. With good match ammo or handloads it will challenge you for a long time (meaning it will shoot better than you can).

Allow me to be the dissenting voice on SS scopes. I used a Super Sniper fixed 10X right beside a Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10X and every one of the five in attendance chose the Bushy. The Bushy was at least as clear and bright as the SS, and the turrets and tracking was far better ... at about $125 less. So I bought the Bushy. I later put an Elite 4200 FFP mil/mil on it when I couldn't wait for the new Vortex FFP mil/mil scopes, and I still love it after roughly 700 rounds. Can't recommend Leupolds anymore for their price range either. If you're going for less than $1000 I'd say a Bushnell Elite 4200 or 6500 or a Vortex. Over $1000 I'd say NightForce or IOR Valdata (luv those things).

Bases ... I'd vote for EGW or Warne 20MOA one-piece bases with Burris XTR rings. I put 'em on everything now.

learjet
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
nother vote for the super sniper here, ive got 3, and my bushnell 3200 has began to show some tracking problems. the SSs are goin strong, and have been used alot more, and on heavier caliber rifles. i know moneys tight, but id recomend badger or seekins bases and rings. u buy them now u will never need to replace them. congrats on the new rifle!

Primer
05-19-2010, 02:43 PM
In the same boat, I have one that should be in this week. Can't wait to get it out! I am new to this site (first post!) and did search but have not been able to find info on two questions that are bothering me for this rifle.

1) What is the best break in process?
2) Any thoughts on Leupold rings? I am putting a VX iii on it.

Thanks for any help!

pls4541
05-19-2010, 03:15 PM
should you visit the Douglas Barrel website, they have a good general guide for barrel break in & cleaning....as for scopes, I own Nikons, Leupolds, Bausch & Lomb, and Bushnell....for the money, I'll keep buying Nikons. Good luck with the new rifle..I'm sleepless at night thinking of the new Savage 10 precision carbine in 308.....

Txhillbilly
05-20-2010, 12:10 AM
You might want to check out a Sightron SIII scope.I have 2 of them now,and they are IMO right up there in the quality and clarity of my Swarovski Pro Hunter.
I didn't expect these scopes to be as good as they are,but I would put them right up there with any of the upper tier scopes out there.The only thing they lack is more reticle choices,and the choice of FFP or SFP reticles.

firemachine69
05-20-2010, 02:16 AM
I'd be all over a Sightron if they offered FFP... I just keep hearing good stuff about them.