PDA

View Full Version : Tactical/practical hunting scope opinions...

Pages : 1 [2]

psharon97
05-28-2010, 12:20 AM
My go to rifle for pest control problems is my savage model 10 flp .223. The scope on it is a Millet BuckGold 4-16x56. I like the low end of the power for hunting purposes or pest control purposes, (whichever I need to use the gun for) and higher end of the power spectrum for target shooting. Generally speacking, there are great scopes for hunting and great scopes for target shooting, but your going to face some trade-offs in finding the median between the two. Excellent long range target scopes usually have a higher power range say 10-50, but thats way too high for most hunting applications. A good hunting scope on the other hand, will have a power like 2.5-10 or 3-9 and while these work great for hunting applications, not so great for long range shooting. If it were me, I would go with the Vortex. I've found the side focus makes quick shots in the brush easier and long range shots a breeze without having to reach to the front of the scope. Just my opinion.

HPL
05-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Give Swift Optics a look. They've a new 12X tactical scope in the $300 range. Boasts 30mm tube, mil dot reticle, target turrets, side mount focus, and offer their own rings. Only mfg I know with lifetime over counter replacement guarantee. Good customer service too. I plan to set one on a DPMS Sweet Sixteen (my third Swift) Have a Swift 6-18X44 on my 10 fp 308 (11 years now) and wouldnt trade it for any other. Very good scopes at great price.

desertcj
06-05-2010, 01:59 AM
This is the original thread starter, I already bought a scope. I appreciate all the input. As I stated before, I went with the Bushnell 3200 Elite 5-15 tactical. Still waiting on my new rifle to mount it on, but it seems really nice for the price so far.