PDA

View Full Version : Hello from new Savage owner in NW Illinois

samxboy
04-05-2015, 07:32 PM
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Currently reside in NW Illinois but main home is in SW Florida. Had a variety of weapons but only one other bolt action namely a Ruger American in 308. Tomorrow however I pick up my first Savage from Cabelas...it's a 11 trophy predator hunter in mossy oak...it's in 223 and has a Nikon Prostaff BDC scope. Recently sold my AR 15 in exchange for a gorgeous old Win 94 and my surplus stock of 223 ammo needs using up!!
I get to do quite a lot of hog hunting in florida and found the 223 to be a good round if you get a clear head shot... Why Savage? Well, I wanted something with decent build quality and a proven reputation for accuracy....that narrowed it down a bit and after browsing the racks saw the Savage and must admit it was 'lust' at first sight. Good feel, some weight with it due I guess to the heavy barrel. Overall though it felt right and the sight picture through the Nikon was excellent.
Do you have any particular recommendations for a new savage owner? I reload all my ammo and have a significant stock of 50gn rounds...I guess the 1 in 9 twist rate is borderline for such a light bullet but does anyone have expereince with this bullet weight?
Looking forward to talking with y'all.

drybean
04-05-2015, 09:05 PM
Welcome aboard

Hotolds442
04-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Welcome!

Rick_W
04-06-2015, 09:08 PM
Welcome

pepper savage 111
04-09-2015, 06:51 PM
Welcome. I'm also in the NW burbs of Illinois. I just built a savage so I go the the ranges in Wisconsin a lot. Let me know if you ever want to go. You can never have too many range buddies.

B52buff
04-10-2015, 01:43 PM
Welcome from NE Michigan.