PDA

View Full Version : Which caliber!!!

Mulletman1
04-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a new savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP, Im looking for a flat shooting, light to moderate recoil hunting rifle. I've narrowed my choices down to either a 25-06, a 6.5 creedmoor, or a 7mm-08. The 25-06 is what I orignally had my sights fixed on until I read an article about the 6.5 CM and compared it's velocity. The 6.5 is faster with a whitetail sized grain, but the 7mm-08 is supposed to carry more energy, but the 6.5 is supposed to be the flattest shooting of the three. Then again the 25-06 can be used for prairie dogs up to whitetails. I'm looking to use this rifle on coyotes, whitetais, and maybe some mulleys! Anyone have and experience with the 6.5 CM? Will it out preform the 7mm-08?

JTCrl
04-05-2015, 07:57 PM
Can't speak to the others but I've shot a 25-06 for over 40 years. Cheap to shoot (you can neck down military 30-06 brass), pleasant to shoot (relatively), known for long barrel life, and plenty of power for everything we have here on the plains (well, they mostly don't let us shoot the buffalo).

JASmith
04-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Sierra 85 grain bullets are readily available for the 6.5.

Also Whiskey 3 Precision has recently come out with aluminum or steel tipped bullets as light as 80 grains. Whiskey 3 6.5 Bullets (https://whiskey3precisionsystems.com/65mm-tac-pm%E2%84%A2)

Either of these would make fine PD medicine while keeping recoil low.

natesatt
04-05-2015, 10:57 PM
I'd go for 7-08 first, 25-06 if you will shoot muleys some day. The 6.5 creed can be hard to find components for in my experience

bootsmcguire
04-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Go for the 25-06. Flat, hits hard enough for most game, ammo can be made easy as stated above from 30-06 (should brass supply dry up for some reason), and will just give you the best of all worlds.

IMHO the 25-06 is just the best blend of everything as a 1 gun do all, in a long action cartridge without stepping up to a 30cal. and even then the 30cal stuff is a bit much for most varminting situations.

Around my area I will find 25-06 ammo on the shelves in greater variety before either of the other two you mention. Assuming it is that way in most places, that may be enough to sway a person's decision one way or the other if they are not loading their own.

JASmith
04-06-2015, 09:36 AM
I also have a sweet spot for the 25-06, BUT, have learned that the 6.5 caliber offers a lot that will be difficult to find in the classic quarter bore:

Bullets as light as 80 grains are available
Bullets as heavy as 160 grains are available

This combination gives the caliber an unusually large span of uses -- from plinking and blasting all the way through animals as heavy as Elk. Indeed, the caliber is also a favorite among European moose hunters.

The 260 Remington is very good. but the Creedmoor offers more room for efficient modern bullets with rather long noses. Midway offers loaded ammunition by Hornady, Winchester, and Nosler. Components are available as is loaded ammunition. Brass can be obtained by resizing 243, 260 Rem, 7mm-08s, and 308 Win brass. Yes, the 25-06 has a lot more options in commercial loads, but the reloader won't notice that in light of the vastly larger number of bullets and span of weights in the 6.5 caliber.

bc160
04-06-2015, 10:52 AM
I guess I just as well put my 2 cents in here. I own and shoot all three of the calibers. The 25-06 is a fun gun to shoot. fast, flat trajectory and mild recoil. With that being said it is the only gun I have ever shot a mule deer with and was unable to locate the animal. I have also had to track wounded game quite a distance with this rifle as well. It now sits in the back of the safe and rarely comes out. I am not saying there is anything wrong with the caliber since bullets and placement has more to do with that problem than anything. I believe I was shooting 117 gr sierras but would have to look to make sure.
The 6.5 creedmore is simply outstanding in the accuracy department. Sure components can be a little hard to come by in some cases. Currently shooting 127 gr barnes LRX out of this rifle. While I have not taken any game with it I have no doubt it will be up to the task.
Now on to my favorite and my go to rifle for most everything. Yes the little 7mm-08. With the widest bullet selection of the 3, little recoil and very mild muzzle blast, it is just a joy to shoot. I have taken many deer, antelope and even a couple cow elk with excellent results. I am currently shoot 140 gr accubonds. With that said if you are looking to occasionally hunt elk stepping up a bit in bullet weight would be a good idea.

yobuck
04-06-2015, 10:56 AM
So how did you come up with the name Mulletman?

JTCrl
04-06-2015, 04:07 PM
I too had issues with the 2506 on deer at first, then found out that the 100gn bullets perform far better. Never lost a deer after switching, used Speer and Noslers. The 117 and 120 would likely be better for elk and moose but they didn't expand on whitetails.

Mulletman1
04-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the advice and sharing of your experinces.

Mulletman1
04-06-2015, 10:35 PM
I'm currently rocking one man!!!