PDA

View Full Version : 223 Hog Hunter shoots too high

sgt_jamez
04-04-2015, 11:18 PM
So my buddy finally gets his 223 HH out on the line. The Simmons scope sits on a Weaver 20 MOA base. The first shots are way over the target at 100 yards. We bottomed the scope out and to was still way too high. We pulled off the scope and tried the irons. Adjusting the rear sight to the lowest it would go, the rifle still shot at least 2 feet too high.

I know now a call to Savage is in order, but what are the other thoughts out there?

Has anyone else had this experience?

i can only guess it's the barrel or receiver.

Thanks all.

handirifle
04-05-2015, 01:52 AM
Well, not a long range shooter myself, but seems with a 20 MOA base it could easily be the Simmons does not have enough adjustment to bring the bullets back on paper. I'd try it with a std base first before calling Savage. Same scope and rings, but std base.

The 20 MOA base it to allow the scope to reach out farther but it still needs a lot of adjustment internally. That's one reason they are going to 30mm or larger tubes, it allows more vertical adjustment.

handirifle
04-05-2015, 01:55 AM
I missed the part about the irons, but I would still try std bases. I bet Savage will want to know that answer as well. Iron sights can easily be way off too. A too short front sight will kick bullets way too high. I once bought a Henry 22 levergun, and the company had to send me a new front post, since the factory one was too tall, and it was hitting about 10" low at 25yds. New post cured the issue.