PDA

View Full Version : 6mm questions...

Pages : [1] 2

LongRange
04-04-2015, 02:00 PM
so ive been doing a lot of research on the different 6mms and am thinking about building one and have narrowed it down to 3 and am looking for some input from you guys shooting them.

6XLR...from what ive read and seen in person the 6XLR seems like the one to go with...one of the match directors shoots the 6XLR at our matches and from what he has said and from what ive read the 6XLR seems to have the the best barrel life of the 6mms and also seems to have the best ballistics as it can shoot the 115 class bullets over 3000FPS with no presue issues.

6mm creedmore...last match 2 ppl were shooting the 6CMs and they were pretty impressive in the wind...i think they were shooting heavy bergers at 2950FPS.

243AI...this is another cal ive seen at our matches that preforms VERY well but ive hear and read they are barrel burns when yoiu turn up the heat.

im leaning more toward the 6CM or the 243AI but would like to hear what you guys think as far as pros and cons of the 3...what bullet,brass,powder and primer combos your shooting...barrel life...and or what ever other advise you have about the 3.

yobuck
04-04-2015, 03:14 PM
If your looking for accuracy and not necessarily top performance as per fps, id be looking hard at the 6/47 or the 6 mm dasher.

LongRange
04-04-2015, 05:08 PM
If your looking for accuracy and not necessarily top performance as per fps, id be looking hard at the 6/47 or the 6 mm dasher.

the XLR and 6CM are both EXTREMELY accurate...here is a vid of the XLR against a 6.5CM out to 1700yds...Scotty is the match director i was referring to that shoots the XLR in our matches and chuck also shoots in our matches...scotty is in the top 3 99% of the time and chuck shoots in the top 5 99% of the time...i know the dasher is VERY accurate but IMHO falls short in the wind.

https://youtu.be/LNCl28ZS1Us

https://youtu.be/A8-I19XD9y4

sharpshooter
04-05-2015, 02:09 AM
Got to agree with yobuck. Those 2 calibers are the easiest on barrels and have accumulated the best records, not to mention they are the most efficient.

yobuck
04-05-2015, 08:29 AM
All bullets fall short on wind, but smaller ones more than big ones. The video was no doubt done on a good day. On a bad day there would have been no video.
The smallest group ever shot at 1000 yds with any gun any weight was shot with a 6 mm dasher. Lots of guys still shoot their 308 calibers on the bad days.

LongRange
04-05-2015, 10:12 AM
Well i guess i got some more research to do.

darkker
04-05-2015, 10:21 AM
the XLR and 6CM are both EXTREMELY accurate..

All cartridges are capable of extreme accuracy, so that is a selling point to someone who doesn't want to do their own load work.

Seems a wee odd that you would look at some real hotrod powder holders, then be concerned about barrel life. If you are interested, here is the PRS usage
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/10/14/rifle-calibers-what-the-pros-use/

LongRange
04-06-2015, 05:58 PM
All cartridges are capable of extreme accuracy, so that is a selling point to someone who doesn't want to do their own load work.

Seems a wee odd that you would look at some real hotrod powder holders, then be concerned about barrel life. If you are interested, here is the PRS usage
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/10/14/rifle-calibers-what-the-pros-use/

Not really concerned about barrel life but at the same time I don't want something I have to rebarrel twice a year. And thanks for the link I've read that a few times.

After doing a little more research I'm just going to stick to the plane jane 260...the 6.5 does everything I need it to.

sharpshooter
04-07-2015, 12:17 AM
My 6x47 Lapua barrel finally gave up last season. When I mean gave up, it lost it's competitive edge, but still shoots 1/2 m.o.a. Half minute doesn't sound bad, but it's not good enough for the girls I dance with. I figured it up and I have burnt over 18 lbs. of H 4350 through this barrel. At 38 grs. a shot, well...you do the math, I consider it paid for.:(

missed
04-07-2015, 10:16 AM
My next build is going to be a 6x47. Factory formed Lapua brass, no neck turning, no fire forming, load and go!

LongRange
04-07-2015, 03:00 PM
My 6x47 Lapua barrel finally gave up last season. When I mean gave up, it lost it's competitive edge, but still shoots 1/2 m.o.a. Half minute doesn't sound bad, but it's not good enough for the girls I dance with. I figured it up and I have burnt over 18 lbs. of H 4350 through this barrel. At 38 grs. a shot, well...you do the math, I consider it paid for.:(

3,330 rounds...give or take a few lol!!

That is impressive and about the same as a 6.5 if not over heated.
What barrel was this Fred?

scope eye
04-07-2015, 03:06 PM
Don't over look 6.5 X 55 or 6 X 55 options.

Dean

LongRange
04-07-2015, 03:07 PM
My next build is going to be a 6x47. Factory formed Lapua brass, no neck turning, no fire forming, load and go!

My thoughts exactly and after hearing Fred's round count I may go 6x47 when the new 260 barrel goes south.

missed
04-07-2015, 03:11 PM
I'm slowly putting pieces together for it. I have some brass, bullets, small primers, and Whidden dies. Just need a barrel, and reamer.

LoneWolf
04-07-2015, 05:09 PM
My debate is between the 6 Creedmoor and 6x47 Lapua currently. I think the Creedmoor would be a little less expensive based on brass cost alone to get into and I can carry over load data from the 243 I'm currently running.

LongRange
04-07-2015, 08:46 PM
I'm slowly putting pieces together for it. I have some brass, bullets, small primers, and Whidden dies. Just need a barrel, and reamer.

Are you doing your own chambering?

My debate is between the 6 Creedmoor and 6x47 Lapua currently. I think the Creedmoor would be a little less expensive based on brass cost alone to get into and I can carry over load data from the 243 I'm currently running.

Im down to the same two choices...we have a match this saturday so ill ask the ppl shooting the 6CMs what they think about them....i like both as there isnt a bunch of extra work fire forming neck turning ect.

LoneWolf
04-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Seems like the Lapua chambering tend to get consistent ES/SD then the Creedmoor, but both like high pressure and the 105 Berger hybrid is the bullet of choice in either. At least with the guys I shoot with. Other than that both are placing well when driven by good shooters.

missed
04-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Are you doing your own chambering?

Im down to the same two choices...we have a match this saturday so ill ask the ppl shooting the 6CMs what they think about them....i like both as there isnt a bunch of extra work fire forming neck turning ect.
Yeah I do, I finally decided to fix my tail stock on my lathe so I need to finish that first.

Dennis
04-08-2015, 04:55 AM
6 Creedmoor, 6 Dasher, & 6BRX.

I love all of them, but my BRX come in first, the Dasher comes in second. I will have to state my BRX is on of my most accurate rifles I have ever owned. Then my 6.5x47L shooting 123 Scenars is very close to my BRX.

Hope I didn't confuse you, but pick one and stick with it. My mistake is having about 30 rifles now. Good advice from a well known shooter told me I should have stuck with one a long time ago and I would probably be at least in the 10 ring most of the time. Made since.

LoneWolf
04-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Problem for me is running the BR and dasher variants they are known for issues when fed from AICS mags and therefore the reason most guys that compete at high level tactical matches are shooting either 6Creedmoor, 6x47L, or 6XC. If not one of those a 6.5 variant or the old reliable 243, 260, and some still running 308's here and there.