PDA

View Full Version : Drone policy er I mean goose hunting

sixonetonoffun
04-04-2015, 01:31 AM
Since the government can't seem to legislate them out of existence. It seems time to take action. At the least have a method for defending our air space, prrivacy and security.

I strongly feel its time to put a 10 gauge behind the door in place of the 410 currently serving in a dual capacity pest elimination/home defense role.

Any suggestions? I have been eyeing a Browning but am clearly out of my comfort zone here. Red dot scope would be a must have I think. How about you? Whats your favorite um err goose gun?

Texas10
04-04-2015, 10:01 AM
I apologize in advance for my rant, but you just hit my hot button so I feel the need to enlighten. Read my lips, there are no drones flying over (civilian) America. None, nada, zip! Despite what you might have been hearing from the bobble-headed bleach blonds in the media, and unless you live on the Texas-Mexico border where you might actually see a Predator drone flying in the Air Defense Zone, the only "drones" in the sky are just radio controlled models, perhaps with a camera attached. So if you see one and feel it may be "spying" on you or your property", no need to waste a good shell, just look around and find the geek-person operating it and insist they take a powder. Might not be as much fun, but really………the whole thing about a future with drones over America is about as likely as the Zombie apocalypse. Or to put it another way, hobbyists have been putting video cameras in R/C models for over 20 years, so this is nothing new, nor had it evolved into "Big Brother" spying on us all, nor is likely to. As you point out with wonderful humor, too easy to defeat.
I predict that in a few years this "drones over America fable" will cease to be interesting to the media, at which time drones, as well as zombies will become just another curious side note in history.

But if you plan to live in certain third world countries, well then, that's a whole different story! In that case, you should probably paint the words "hands up, don't shoot' on the roof top of your car :boom:

sixonetonoffun
04-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Maybe I should have .been more specific with my wording. Mini-drones in particular. Privately owned illegally operated mini drones. It amazes me the number of nefarious uses for them.

Texas10
04-04-2015, 10:21 PM
Again, I apologize if I offended. It's just that I've been in this industry all my life and am particularly annoyed by the hype and hysteria an ill informed media has given to this subject, and hate the fact that it results in people being upset or worried needlessly.

But to answer your original question, I think a standard dove or trap load will do the job quite nicely if it's under 60 yards. They're mostly made of very light plastic or foam and are quite vulnerable to lead or steel shot. Heck, you can probably shoot one down with a carefully aimed rubber band..LOL

sixonetonoffun
04-04-2015, 11:33 PM
My interest was peeked/peeved after sighting one flying at dusk in almost total darkness just off my south property line. It hoved briefly and left on a south by southwest path all the while over my good friend and neighbors property. Who I knew did not have any or interest In period.

This was obviously an extremely advanced model as it would have been impossible.for line of site controls to manage it where it was.

So who might be flying such? First thoughts LE but no reason or need for them here. State DNR? Maybe not offically that I am aware of... from there I would start thinking Insurance or Banking investigation? Nieghbor has had some issues with both for various reasons.

Dunno the source. Haven't seen any since. But the entire brief experience caused me to consider where do we draw the line?

EFBell
04-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Cant say for sure but my bet would be if you shot one down (even over your own property) you would be the one in trouble.

bobbyj
04-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Again, I apologize if I offended. It's just that I've been in this industry all my life and am particularly annoyed by the hype and hysteria an ill informed media has given to this subject, and hate the fact that it results in people being upset or worried needlessly.

But to answer your original question, I think a standard dove or trap load will do the job quite nicely if it's under 60 yards. They're mostly made of very light plastic or foam and are quite vulnerable to lead or steel shot. Heck, you can probably shoot one down with a carefully aimed rubber band..LOL

Let's take it one step further and imagine a new application - 'drone skeet' or drone 'sporting clays'. Gosh, I ought to copyright this idea! Small, incredibly inexpensive drones that are launched over a shooting field that allows for erratic trajectories that would make the normal flight path of a target boring!

Of course there would have to be rules developed to make the game challenging but who knows - the sky's the limit! :heh:

bobbyj

sharpshooter
04-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Cant say for sure but my bet would be if you shot one down (even over your own property) you would be the one in trouble.
As far as I know the state of Ohio has no closed season on drones.....and I don't believe they are regulated by the FAA.;)

sixonetonoffun
04-05-2015, 11:47 PM
I like bobbyj's idea but most ranges don't even have the old skool duck towers anymore. The 360 degree thing just naturally seems to create issues.

sixonetonoffun
04-06-2015, 12:00 AM
While I hear your point and agree laws tend to be slanted against property owners in many instances. The 3-S's would apply here as they always do. Heck if Malaysia Airlines can lose an airbus....

rphguy
04-06-2015, 04:17 AM
the whole thing about a future with drones over America is about as likely as the Zombie apocalypse.
so, then, you are saying it is guaranteed to happen soon???

Texas10
04-06-2015, 10:16 PM
You don't already have an HK1000 with onboard mini-gun and satellite nav? :behindsofa:

sixonetonoffun
04-07-2015, 12:32 AM
Cheap technology and advances in publicly available navigation systems until recently too expensive for any but military... spells boom in the making.

The trouble I see is the industry will develop faster then lawmakers can keep up with. I'm sure many were waiting to see what FAA and FCC would do. Which turned out to be extremely lax. Basically leaving the door open.

While terrorism and zombies are likely to grab all the headlines. I think following the money would lead one to banking and insurance industries quickly.

I'm not against tech in general but am cautiously optimistic as it invades our everyday lives.

Texas10
04-07-2015, 07:47 AM
Technological advances have always outpaced any societies ability to cope. And as soon as new gap appears, the news media is there to exploit it, usually by making everyone feel vulnerable and afraid. That keeps folks glued to their TV's and sells ads. American Capitalism at its finest, facts be ****ed. Remember the little girl, Jessica Dubroff who died ( along with her flight instructor) trying to "set a new world record for youngest person to fly across the US"? And Congress moved quickly to write new rules about under age kids trying to "set flight records". Yea, I was right in the middle of all that and saw how the media fabricates "facts" and got everybody all upset. Congress, after it's big TV moment ended up doing nothing because there was nothing to do. It (the world record attempt) was total fabrication by the media. There is no world record category for student pilots.

You can go online now and buy all the technology you need to operate a fully autonomously controlled drone. Program it, launch it, even watch it's flight live from an onboard camera as it flies itself. But you can't fly it in US airspace. That's because the entire FAA flight rules system is designed around the idea of "see and avoid" . But a drone can't see and avoid. It'll fly right into another aircraft because, unlike humans, it has no self preservation instinct.
The "new" FAA policy for drones is just a restatement of the rules R/C hobbyists have operated under for decades, written by the American Modelers Association (AMA) which promotes safety and provides a key ingredient as a benefit to joining….FLIGHT INSURANCE. And this is the key point here, that the new crop of hobbyists who buy cheap "Quad Copters" and fly them over populated areas, never thinking about liability issues. For the most part, they are unaware of the existence of the AMA or the value of having insurance, should their toy cause damage or injury, or otherwise find themselves being sued for something like unlawful photography or panicking livestock.

OK, i'm officially ranting now. Time to take a chill-pill. You can see the technology in action by searching youtube for X8 flying wing video. x8 flying wing video (https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AuwGXCph76HGsJ0cYtpEHsubvZx4?fr=yfp-t-252-s&toggle=1&fp=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&p=x8%20flying%20wing%20video). Please note, the video is probably shot in China or Taiwan, not the US.

BTW: Non of the popular, off the shelf "drones" available in the US market today are capable of autonomous flight.

Boudin
04-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Pawnshop Remmy 870 3" mag. Older the better. 3" mag #4 turkey loads will get r done. Steel shot sucks.

sixonetonoffun
04-09-2015, 11:10 PM
I came to the conclusion a 12ga 3 1/2" with hevi shot should almost match a 10ga for range just won't carry as much payload. But should be lethal to 70 yards.

Texas10, I've enjoyed the benefit of your experience. One good rant always leads to more.

Strutnut
04-10-2015, 11:42 AM
Question, lets say the drone was carrying a package from Amazon and it went through your personal air space. You shot it down and it was for the neighbor. Do you look inside? Do you keep it? Give it to them? Does it depend on whats in there? Hmmm, as you can see I have wondered about this. Oh, I have no doubt on what I will use as far as a firearm. My trusty old 12 guage with hevi shot or my AR platform .223 if they are a bit out of the range of the shotgun. I have also thought about falconry as well as it seems from youtube videos they are also quite skilled and bringing them down.

sixonetonoffun
04-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Thats funny I had the falcon thought flash through my mind.

As for Amazon the entire premise is based on urban space. They haven't worked out the logistics to offer rural areas buzz box delivery yet.

GeoBoy
04-11-2015, 10:11 AM
The whole Amazon delivering packages with drones is nothing but an advertising stunt. Can you imagine the logistics nightmare of buying all the necessary drones, maintaining them, people to fly them, weather issues, etc.? When they already have a very efficient way to deliver packages in place. I don't.

Texas10
04-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Amazon, via Amazon Prime already has delivery drones here in Austin, TX. You place your order online and it shows up within 2 hours. Pretty amazing.

BTW: the drones out here ride bicycles…LOL.