PDA

View Full Version : "E" prefex 110 Receiver

GaCop
04-03-2015, 09:30 AM
Can anyone explain to me why an "E" prefex serialed 110 receiver should be avoided "like the plague" as stated by Sharpshooter in another thread? I'd really like to know what's wrong with them.

rbp75503
04-03-2015, 09:48 AM
I am really, really, curious as well. Mr. Fred had recently timed and trued an E prefix for me. Compared to the mdl 10 he also did for me the 110 has an lighter/easier bolt lift and the bolt movement is really smooth. Maybe the 110 gave him fits working on it, I just don't know. :)

bronco2
04-04-2015, 06:53 PM
whats wrong with a E PREFIX?

sharpshooter
04-05-2015, 01:19 AM
I guess I can't leave you guys hangin'....the "E prefix started in 82 and lasted till mid '89. The early ones weren't real bad till the not so bright engineers tried to correct a timing problem by filing ramps on the bolt lugs. This modification was a band aid fix to a problem attributed a failing tooling system associated with cutting the ramps on the lug abutments. This "fix" made the bolt a little smoother, but in reality only retarded the timing worse. Savages darkest days were from 1987-89, while fighting off bankruptsy. These hard times meant cost cutting measures had to taken to salvage the company. Within this time frame the company put out some of the roughest, crudest guns on the market. To cut costs, investment casting was used on receivers for about 18 months, with piss poor results and later abandoned for the old way of using billet stock. The finishes suffered the most with the majority of the actions being media blasted to cover flaws.

Once Ron Coburn had the company in the black, the quality started getting better with the F prefix models, and when he gained controlling interest in 1995, thing got a bunch better.
Not every "E" prefix rifle is the turd I'm describing, but I worked on big enough cross section to know that when I get one I know what I'm in for. If you are shopping for a donor rifle to build from, I'd pass on anything that old.

GaCop
04-05-2015, 07:15 AM
I guess I got lucky. Mine hasn't caused any problems with my build. I recall buying the doner "E" prefix in the late 90's.

bronco2
04-05-2015, 08:00 AM
the "B" action i have for sale seems build really well and nice. but good to know about the "E" prefix ones. thanks