PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 spc

Tim300wsm
05-14-2010, 10:02 PM
hey guys i got a bad itch for an ar and am really considering the 6.8 spc was wondering if anyone has experience with these im looking at this to be a short to medium range (250 yards or less) gun for white tail maybe hogs if i get the chance and general fun and plinking either in a 16" or 18" with an 11 twist and a spec II chamber ive been to the 6.8 forum but i like the vibe here better so im hoping u can help ;)

GaCop
05-15-2010, 05:49 AM
Go for it, you'll love the cartridge. I'm currently loading for a Patriot Ordnance 6.8 with the 1/11 twist. Excellent workmanship but real pricey. Go with the 18" barrel if you want to hunt. Barnes bullets are excellent game bullets in this caliber. A word of warning on Hornady 6.8 ammo, the primers are crimped like military ammo bit once swaged is great toreload. Silver States has some excellent ammo.

tammons
05-16-2010, 01:00 PM
I had 2

A 20" and a 16" lightwieght.

My light setup was the best. Cav lover (if you can find one), 16" light barrel, flattop upper with deadnutz ar scope mount and a Leupold ultralight scope,
carbon fiber foregrip, pic rail gas block. The entire rig weighed 6#-4oz and was the perfect carry gun.

My dad has a 6.8 SPC mini 14 and loves that rifle. He is 89 YO and that is now his go to rifle.
Up until now I have been loading 110 gr prohunters and 110 gr TTSX bullets, but am switching over to
95 gr barnes TTSX bullets.

For 250 yards, since the 95 gr TTSX bullet has been released, if it were me I would build a 16" barreled lightweight rifle
mostly because of the weight and balance.

Bison now makes those lightweight 16" barrels.

If you were going to hunt a large animal at 350-400 yards and shoot heavier bullets, like a 110 gr accubond, I would say 20" for a bit more speed, but a 95gr
TTSX will down any hog within 200-300 yards out of a 16" barrel.

Edit: We have shot about 25-30 hogs over the last few years with a TTSX bullet out of a 6.8 spc and if they dont drop on the spot, they run about 20 yards and keel over dead. Even the worst shot I ever made, 20 yards and DOA.

I have hunted deer at close range with the TTSX and its really an overkill for boiler room shots.
Blows through them like a freight train. The ones I shot usually took off like a jack rabbit and you will find them about 50 yards away.
That said if I ran into a huge deer I would prefer to be loaded with a TTSX.

For normal size deer, the 110 gr prohunter is a better whitetail bullet IMO and its cheap.

The 90 gr TNT would be good for neck shots.

darkker
05-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Do a search(I'm not active and don't have the bookmark anymore) for 6.8 Forums. I think it is www.68forum.com
In any case I built a 6.8 AR style rifle, and there are a few things for you to know.
Depending upon whether or not you are going to reload, and who's ammo you want to shoot, you need to pick the correct chamber.
IIRC, there are about 3 chambers. The SAAMI, the DMR, and the SPC II.
All of which have nuances that are important to the items above.

helotaxi
05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Go with the DMR or SPC II chamber and a 1:11 twist. It will keep the pressures down with factory ammo and allow to load your handloads hotter. The Nosler Accubond in 110gn is made as a hunting round specifically for the 6.8 (instead of originally being a .270 bullet). The 130gn Speer Hot Cor can be loaded to mag length as well and the Hot Cor will open at fairly low velocity.

I've got a Stag carbine AR upper and it has been great. Palmetto State Armory has them for a good price (especially considering that they ship it with several more magazines and 40 rounds of Silver State ammo).

Tim300wsm
05-20-2010, 10:35 PM
thanx guys im going to buy a bushmaster i know its not the end all be all of the ar world but i can get a great deal on a nib and am a millwright apprentice and student on a limited budget and this will fill my need imlooking for a compact brush gun that is accurate for hunting to 200 yards only so it should work fine weights not a concern for me (young and dumb) and anything long range or or for spliting hairs i have my 300wsm 12 vlp (what a gun that is)

tammons
05-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Good deal.

In case you are interested, you can get the 95 gr TTSX bullets directly from barnes
or from Hitechrancher at arfcom.

rjtfroggy
05-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Tim rethink the Bushmaster. I have a predator and what a PIA it is, very very finicky. It has to be perfectly clean,bullets need to be the exact length for it some factory ammo will not shoot out of it. It is to the point that I won't reload for it and it has become a gun that sits in the safe more and more because it only likes the top of the line match ammo, it is accurate as all heck but cost too much to be fun.
I have a couple of friends running Armalites and they are problem free and are like a Timex just keep on ticking. A little more expensive up front but IMO well worth it.

Tim300wsm
05-21-2010, 03:11 PM
impaying less than 700

tammons
05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
You might be able to build one for less than that and its pretty easy, but it does take a few tools.
A Bison barrel is about $200 I think. Stainless and nice barrels with the twist and chamber you want.

They sell uppers too, but it looks like they are out of some barrels right now.

http://www.bisonarmory.com/custom.htm

Here is a complete Bison Rifle for $800.

http://www.68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13881

nhm16
05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
I built a 20" upper around a Bison barrel.

For plinking I'm driving a 90gr TNT with 29.5gr of RL-7, Wolf SRM, in SSA brass. Getting around 2920fps, and shoots gets about 3/4 moa accuracy at 100 and 300yds. For 110gr Pro-Hunters and 115gr SMKs, H322 works best for me, but RL-10x works pretty well too.

Generally, for < 100gr bullets, RL-7 is the go-to powder, for > 100gr, RL-10x and H322 have a good reputation.

But check out 68forums.com (http://68forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56) for more information.

Have bought 5 boxes of 95gr TTSX from Wilson Combat, and loaded one box (50) for load testing, half with RL-7 and half with RL-10x, but haven&#39;t shot them. From what I read RL-10x gives best accuracy, but RL-7 gives higher velocities (higher than when driving a 90gr TNT for some reason).