PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Heads ?

Quickshot
05-14-2010, 09:07 AM
I hope I'm in the right area with this. Without a FFL, how do you aquire a bolt head to change caliber for a barrel swap? My buddy has a 110 action in .243 and decided to change to .223. Was able to purchase a stock and barrel with no problem but no one will sell him a bolt head without a FFL. Around here to go through a dealer to get anything you might as well go out and purchase new. That would take all fun out of it. :'( Quick

BrentWin
05-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Sharp Shooters Supply, Midway USA and Brownells all keep bolt heads, no FFL required.

An FFL is only required for the body of the action or assemblies that contain the body. ie a complete action or complete rifle.

rjtfroggy
05-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Quick look in the classifieds I think there are a couple listed there.
No FFL needed for a bolt head.

Quickshot
05-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks guys for the response. I guess I need to get on my buddy. Maybe he didn't make clear what he wanted because those are the exact places he said he had contacted except SSS. Will search further, Thanks again, Quick

memilanuk
05-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Midway and Brownell's have been known to pull that B.S. before... tell them you're ordering it and taking it to a gunsmith to have it fitted... sometimes they'll just go 'Duuuuhhh... okay!' and send it to you. Whether you take it to a gunsmith for amounts to a five minute job in your average home garage... is up to you.