PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions on savage 11.

lrshooting
03-30-2015, 09:29 PM
First, is a M11 reciever the exact same as a M10? I ask because I am doing a build off one and if all accutriggers are basically the same and if the reciever is the same, then I dont need to worry when ordering parts if i need a M11 or M10 version. Mines a centerfeed M11 with a bottom release, which leads me to my next question...

How hard is it to convert from bottom to top bolt release and is there a function based advantage in doing so? I feel that converting would give me more options at a cheaper price (I.E. PTG DBMs are 40$ higher for bottom releases due to having to incorporate the release buttom into the DBM). Function wise, however, it seems it would not be advantageous because you now have more metal to make up the sear as well as having a quickly moving external part to get slowed down or otherwise hindered by debris, concealment, clothing, etc.

I know other than acquiring a sear from numrich (which I have found) and milling or carefully filing a flat spot on the reciever to allow for the side lever, theres not much else to it. I did notice that the LE models still have the side release for whatever reason, so Im at a loss for which would be the better way to go when it comes to doing things right the first time.

Hotolds442
03-31-2015, 11:44 PM
The receivers are the same on the 10 and 11. Changing from a bottom bolt release to a top release requires milling of the receiver unless you are very lucky. The sear can be bent to clear the action about 10% of the time, it's really brittle and breaks easily during bending. I wouldn't suggest it, but the option is there.

lrshooting
04-02-2015, 01:13 AM
The receivers are the same on the 10 and 11. Changing from a bottom bolt release to a top release requires milling of the receiver unless you are very lucky. The sear can be bent to clear the action about 10% of the time, it's really brittle and breaks easily during bending. I wouldn't suggest it, but the option is there.
Would there be an advantage as far as function in tougher environments (brush, debris, dirt, etc) with one of the other styles of releases? If the bottom release is significantly more reliable, then id leave it, but it doesn't seem to be. I guess I would only worry that since it also acts as part of the sear, it would need to be clean and free all the time or it may cause issues with the firing pin going off.

Alleycat
04-15-2015, 01:15 PM
Ah my exact quistion answered without starting a new thread...are model 10 and 11 actions the same.
Also going to try my first ever savage rifle build and looking for a donor...

Thanks