PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounting issues on older Savage Scout

Teddydogno1
03-30-2015, 05:06 PM
I have one of the older (original model?) Savage Model 10 Scout rifles (.308). It has the side-button magazine release. The forward mounted "scout" base is a B-Square I believe. Note that I bought the rifle used. I have a Leatherwood LER 2-7x32 scope to mount on it (have read many good things about this scope for a "bargain" scope).

I have a couple of different rings on hand already that I have tried to use with this combo. Millet "low" rings are not going to allow the power-adjustment ring to clear the base. I also have a pair of "medium" UTG QD rings. However, I cannot get these to latch down on the base. They seem to have a VERY limited amount of adjustment to them. I can get them on the base, but the lock lever will only close about half way. Is this an issue of them being designed for Picatinny rails and not Weaver bases, or vice versa? Or am I missing something regarding adjustment of these rings to allow them to clamp onto the base?

At this point I'm going on the assumption that what I have just won't work and will order a set of "medium" rings designed for a Weaver base (Leupold QRW's probably). But I'm open to figuring out how to make the UTGs work. (Actually, a pair of the Leupold QWR mediums is now in hand).

Second question/issue: I have a set of scope leveling levels (Wheeler Eng.). One is designed to sit in the bolt raceway of the rifle (with magnet) to level out the rifle, then another sits on top of the scope turret to make the scope level as well. BUT, when I leveled the rifle using the receiver boltway and put the other level on top of the scope base, they don't match. So either the base is not "square" to the rifle, or the place where the receiver level sits is not actually level. Has anyone experienced this before? Should I level the scope to the receiver, or to the base?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rob

jonbearman
03-30-2015, 07:29 PM
You level to the raceway and the scope should level out to the raceway level. If you have a weaver rail they are slightly different. I would get higher weaver style based rings like the quad rings. Get a set of high.