PDA

View Full Version : New (ish) guy

SIIaCanuck
03-30-2015, 01:49 AM
I've floated past the forum for many years but finally joined.

I've had a 112 FVSS in 30-06 for 15 years. It's pre-accutrigger and has been used for hunting deer at home in Canada and target shooting in the UK (I spent 20 years in the Royal Air Force). It's got a SSS trigger, Choate UV stock, 10 MOA Picatinny rail and Falcon Menace 4-14x44 MP16 reticle scope. It's apart for work at the moment but I'll post up a photo once it's back together. Best groups with it have been 5/8" (5rd, centre to centre) at 100m with Federal hunting ammo and I'm hoping to get it under 1/2" with hand loads.

The same year (2000) I got a Mk.II 22LR BV (pre-accutrigger). It's been a tack driver since new and is minute-of-gopher off the truck mirror out to 100yds. Dad stole it from me about a week after I got it and ever since then I've had to 'ask permission' to use it. He's seen off some 8500+ ground squirrels with it over the years (he keeps records, was a purebred cattle rancher so meticulous farm record keeper). In an effort to make it minute-of-gopher's head to 100yds, I'm going to add an action screw and pillar bed the action. I'm also going to shim the rear of the trigger group and shim the trigger pivot pin to take out the factory slop. Then it'll get a Nikon 3-7x32 P-22 scope (to replace the Bushnell Trophy on it) and the whole thing will go back to the under-seat compartment on Dad's F350 to see if he can turn his 46/50 gopher/round average to a 50/50.

After retiring from the RAF, I tried, and failed, to get my Mk.II back under my control. An attempt to bribe Dad with a new 10/22 a decade ago failed so I'm now selling the 10/22 and getting a 93R17 TRR-SR to replace it. I'll pillar bed the action, tune the trigger and I've got a Simmons Protarget 3-12x40 with a 17HMR turret to try. Then the competition between the old rancher and the Iraq vet son can get into full swing.

That's my Savage collection. I've also got a bunch of vintage military stuff, Mausers, Lee-Enfields, Garand, Mosin-Nagant, etc. My No.1 Mk.III* Ishapore Lee-Enfield is my other deer rifle (aside from the 112). I shot vintage Highpower with it for a few years so I prefer it to the Savage in the bush. Out in the open at 300m+, it's no contest, the Savage wins every time.

Stew

drybean
03-30-2015, 09:44 AM
Welcome aboard

Rick_W
03-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Welcome

Hotolds442
03-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Welcome!

ragsflh
03-31-2015, 07:17 AM