PDA

View Full Version : Here's a trigger dilemma for ya!

deviant
05-13-2010, 05:57 PM
So, I'll start with a little background. I'm been shooting quite regularly for about 20 years now and hand loading for 12. I've owned many makes and models of bolt rifles, semi-autos, And handguns. I've owned many savage rifles over the years. My first hunting rifle was a savage 110 25-06 rem my father bought me when I was 12. I've been in love with savage ever since. Sure, I've owned some fine shooters by other manufacturers but always found my favorites to be Savage's. Well, about 2 years ago I lost my business then our home. I found myself jobless and broke. My fiance and I along with our 2 kids had to move to a small apartment. I had to sell off all my rifles and a lot of my other stuff just to survive. Things are a little better for us now and I went and bought a new savage Model 10fp in .308 with the choate tactical stock. I also restocked my reloading equipment. I am a fan of 26" barrels. So, I was very happy to find a police model with a 26" barrel. So, I loaded up a few different loads using different weight bullets and a couple different powders. I also got a box of hornady custom 165gr btsp's and 20 rounds of Lake City 174gr. M118 match from my fathers ammo stash. So, I headed to the range. The rifle shot very mediocre with all the different factory ammo and my handloads. I was very disappointed! After thinking on it for a bit. I realized the rifle wasn't completely broken in. I went home for the day and went over the rifle. I decided to swap out the scope with another one I had here and I noticed a very heavy burr protruding from the muzzle. I called my father who he and I have worked on several of our own rifles over the years. We decided the burr had to go. I bought an ultra fine dremel round polishing stone bit and ultra fine polishing paste. I coated the ball in a massive amount of paste and very carefully turned it by hand with very mild pressure applied. Took quite a while but there is no more burr. It came out darn near perfect. Back to the range I went. Now, We are shootin! The Rifle turned in some really nice groups with my handloads. Several 1/2 moa groups at 100 yards. Now, I can tweak my handloads( turn the necks, experiment with seating depths, and powder charges). To really tighten up the groups. However, here comes the Problem. After shooting about 20 rounds this time I felt that the trigger pull was getting lighter. I thought it must be in my head. So, I put my snap cap in and tried it a couple of times. I had preset the trigger to 2.5lbs before I shot the rifle. Now the trigger is soo light it won't allow the sear engage while turning down the bolt and it won't adjust at all. Even with the barreled action out of the stock. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I decided to go with a SSS comp. trigger anyway but I was curious if anyone else had this problem before? Also here are some pics of the rifle after I have it all set up.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/deviantpitbull/Tactical20Stock20Compressed.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/deviantpitbull/100_1154.jpg
I added the 3 way adjustable butt plate and my adjustment knob.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/deviantpitbull/100_1156.jpg
Adjustment knob in action.

Quickshot
05-13-2010, 07:35 PM
I had a similar problem. Where the open end of the spring contacts the tang, the end of the spring wire got caught up in the opening and would not allow adjustment except in one direction. I had to arrive at a happy medium by turning the spring until it locked in but at a poundage that was satisfactory. I also screwed in a set screw to keep the spring from moving in use. Don't know if that helps your problem but its a start. I do know that it is possible to try to adjust the trigger too light and it won't set. Quick

sharpshooter
05-13-2010, 07:42 PM
When the pull becomes lighter with use, it's a sign that the edge is wearing out.

deviant
05-21-2010, 12:26 PM
I had a similar problem. Where the open end of the spring contacts the tang, the end of the spring wire got caught up in the opening and would not allow adjustment except in one direction. I had to arrive at a happy medium by turning the spring until it locked in but at a poundage that was satisfactory. I also screwed in a set screw to keep the spring from moving in use. Don't know if that helps your problem but its a start. I do know that it is possible to try to adjust the trigger too light and it won't set. Quick

The set screw worked perfectly. No more issues.. Thanks for the advice!

Quickshot
05-21-2010, 07:04 PM
deviant, You are surely welcome. This is the place to get an answer to just about anything that ails ya. Quick