PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs some advise

papabearxx
03-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Hello everyone!

I am relatively new to savage bolt action rifles and I have a couple of questions for the experts. I have a 110 long action stagger feed. It is a mid 90's model with a top bolt release. Currently it is a 30-06 but I am considering rebarreling it to a 6.5x55 swede or possibly a 6.5-06. Haven't decided on that part. But my questions are probably pretty common. What trigger upgrade and What stock suggestions? I have read numerous posts and it does not seem very clear what people think. I have seen a lot of talk about Boyds stocks, but to be honest my experience with them has been less than impressive. Finish and inletting has been questionable. B&C makes a model that will fit this rifle. I have had pretty good luck with B&C on other rifles. But when it comes to triggers I am really concerned. I am very picky about triggers. I like no creep, crisp, and 1.5 to 2 lbs pull. I had an Axis for a short time. I hated the trigger so I replaced it with a Rifle Basix. This was better but still not very good. There was a lot of creep and the trigger just seems cheap. Maybe I did not have it tuned right but I was not impressed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

papabearxx
03-29-2015, 12:26 PM
Sorry about my rambling post from last night. Lets make this a little simpler. SSS trigger or Timney? And B&C stock or pay the extra money to have a Manners or McMillan built?

jonbearman
03-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Rifle basix sav-2 or the sss is fine. The sss is a little harder to get just right but are made by a savage guy.

papabearxx
03-29-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the response. It looks like its kind of a coin flip as to which one to go with. This will be my first Savage build. I have had a couple of remingtons built over the years but by the time they are where I want them Im into them for 3K. I am hoping to build a Savage that will keep up with the Remingtons at half the cost. We will see how it goes.