PDA

View Full Version : Tendon demention's for Target action

hothead
03-28-2015, 01:46 PM
I 'm going to be machining a 308 , Krieger barrel for my Savage Palma rifle.
The gun shoots awesome as is, I am going to be using it for F/tr shooting.
I will be using the barrel nut as I don't think .065 is enough shoulder for the 1.250
barrel. I would like to pre machine the barrel and after the next match change it out.
I need a print of tendon with thread pitch over wires.
if necessary I will wait , but barrel is in lathe indicated in ready to cut.
the reason for re barreling is to increase weight and I want a faster twist.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks, hh:confused:

also this is not my 1st barrel job. I have done a few hundred prior to this.
This is just my 1st Savage.
hh

jonbearman
03-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Cant you just copy the thread length off the old barrel? If you want me to measure the length I can. I believe it is 1.055-20 but I will check. They normally cut the od of the tennon 1.060 so there is no interference fit. On the large shank it is 1.365 long as far as the threads go. You have to have room to back the barrel nut out.Someone chime in on the length of the small tenon as I don't have any barrels to measure as they are in use.

sharpshooter
03-28-2015, 07:20 PM
Barrels don't have tendons....they have a thread tennon. The size is 1.120 x 20, but it is the same pitch diameter as 1.125 x 20, but since you have the receiver I wouldn't guess at with wires. Why wait till after the next match...since it's already set up, do it.

hothead
03-29-2015, 06:34 AM
I have my rifle apart, and the THREAD tendon cut , and half the chamber run in .
I cant believe no one had this written down. Being Savages are so GENERIC .
its not like you need, want a tight thread for these rifles. while its apart, I will
also make tooling for truing the action. in the past I have avoided Savages other
then screwing barrels on and head spacing. I have also refused to rebarrel R----s
Remchester, and custom actions were my nitch.
hh

Robinhood
03-29-2015, 07:41 AM
The calculation is in your thread wire packet and the machinist handbook. If your action is trued, You could cut the thread diameter plus .005 or so and take skim passes till the action fits so you don't end up with a sloppy fit.

Check my numbers as these are off some old notes.
.029 wire
Class 2A 1.0911 / 1.0865

Also Check this number for the small shank
.029 wire
Class 2A 1.0282 / 1.0236

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Screw_threads/3-wire3.jpg