PDA

View Full Version : My new slice of heaven ( Load Bench Paradise)

Pages : 1 [2]

RDBrian
05-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Dave,

Nice job on the bench! Don't be discouraged (maybe you are encouraged) by the clutter it will get from time to time, just clean it up once in a while.

Here is my corner of heaven new one year ago:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/RDMoses/reloading/bench2.jpg

and this is how it looks today:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/RDMoses/reloading/bench6.jpg

I've only reloaded 1500+ rounds across only three different calibers (there is fishing to do too) in the past year so that helps keep things a little tidier.

Have fun and keep up the good work.

Moses

rjtfroggy
05-22-2010, 12:58 PM
What you guys got OCD or something? Reloading bench is supposed to look like you reload.

Blue Avenger
05-22-2010, 01:03 PM
them slide in sections are a neat idea! You use solid or laminated wood?

Uncle Jack
05-22-2010, 01:11 PM
I couldn't work there. I'd be afraid I'd mess something up.

uj

RDBrian
05-22-2010, 01:57 PM
When I'm in a reloading session it gets messed up plenty but I've never found a reason to leave it that way. I let my targets show that I reload ;).

Moses

rjtfroggy
05-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I reload for 7 rifle cartridges,6 handgun,and 4 shot gun gauges, plus now I have started building and rebuilding my Savages.
My bench no matter how clean still looks a mess.
Oh yea I also work on my bows and build my arrows when I am able to shoot them.

Uncle Jack
05-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Try throwing in a ton of fly tying material and tools.

uj

I reload for 7 rifle cartridges,6 handgun,and 4 shot gun gauges, plus now I have started building and rebuilding my Savages.
My bench no matter how clean still looks a mess.
Oh yea I also work on my bows and build my arrows when I am able to shoot them.

rjtfroggy
05-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I tried that once UJ but I have mechanics hands not surgeons, just could not get the hang of it.Besides there was a shop selling flies 12 for a buck. It wasn't worth trying to improve on something I couldn't get. So I went back to night crawlers.

RDBrian
05-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Hey Blue

Sorry it took so long but I did't even notice your post what with all the other chatter.

Anyway the inserts are (the whole top) 3/4 inch birch plywood. The slots and inserts are cut with a slight taper so the inserts slide in easily until the last inch or so then get snug.

I thought initially I would still have to clamp them but so far they haven't loosened any even from FL resizing.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/RDMoses/reloading/dovetail_open.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/RDMoses/reloading/dovetail_closed.jpg

In fact they fit so snug that I had to add a notch with brass kickers at the back to pry them open.
I have made several extra inserts for the inevitable added piece of equipment!
The staining scheme was my grandson's idea, but I think it turned out ok.

I know this will upset froggy but I cleaned up the woodshop after making this bench

I also clean up the machine shop when I am finished there too. I mow the lawn, weed the garden, clean my dry-fly line, my bass lures and sharpen their hooks and powerwash the boat before backing it into the shed. And ohyea I have fletched some aluminum shafts for my Browning compound.

Did I mention that I am retired?

Moses

rjtfroggy
05-23-2010, 07:11 AM
Moses, being a retired firefighter I would be more upset if you did not clean up the wood shop or machine shop after use,also proper storage of powder and primers are a must, but I use my reloading bench everyday and it would take more time to dig stuff out if put away everytime I use it. Plus I know right where I leave things so I don't need to go looking for them.
I used to mow the lawn,do the weeding,trim the hedges all that stuff but since I broke my back and gone through a series of surgeries it will be a while before I can do that stuff again.

RDBrian
05-23-2010, 09:39 AM
rtjfroggy,

Sorry to hear about your back problems. My dad was fire-chief for ten years for a volunteer fire department so I know what sacrifices you have made.

As for your bench, I don't care what it looks like or what you do with it, but you had some disparaging remarks to make about mine so I responded.

Hope you recover sooner than later.

Moses

Slowpoke Slim
05-24-2010, 08:42 AM
I guess I can't "show and tell", after 4 attempts to get my pictures to work on here, I give up.

there must be a "mess limit" set on the forums...

;D