PDA

View Full Version : 2 "bumps" in case neck

Pages : [1] 2

cowboyarcher
05-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Hi all,

Just built my first 5 reloads, 270 WIN, 150 Sierra GK. Anyhow, I am producing 2 rings in the case necks, waves, or bumps.

What am I doing wrong?

I am thinking I have the seating die set too low, and it's trying to crimp the cases, causing the rings.

Any thoughts with out pics for now?

Thanks All,

Adam

Blue Avenger
05-12-2010, 08:19 PM
you will have to get us a picture if you can.

what brand of dies are you using?
the cases were fine before you seated the bullet?

most want to be raised a couple turns off the shell holder when the ram is in the raised position..

rjtfroggy
05-13-2010, 09:36 PM
1st make sure you wipe all lube off the case.
2nd lower the arm of the press so the shell holder is just touching the bottom of the seater die then back the die out one complete turn.
Make sure you champher and deburr the cases and you should be good to go.

EFBell
05-14-2010, 09:06 AM
Run a barrel brush of the same caliber in the neck to clean out the gunk.
Dont wipe all the lube off of the case or you will end up with a stuck case. Just wipe off the excess lube. I'm sure thats what Froggy meant to suggest. Excess lube takes space and can cause "Hydraulic Dents".
Or get your self some Lee collet dies and forget the problem all together.

wbm
05-14-2010, 09:21 AM
get your self some Lee collet dies and forget the problem all together.

+1

DGD6MM
05-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Sounds like hydraulic dents, wipe off excess lube and make sure inside of die is clean. Once in a while a piece of corncob media can slip by visual inspection and get up inside the die and cause a dent. Probably one , the other, or both.

Peter_Kirch
05-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Sounds like hydraulic dents, wipe off excess lube and make sure inside of die is clean. Once in a while a piece of corncob media can slip by visual inspection and get up inside the die and cause a dent. Probably one , the other, or both.

+1
Too much lube. You really don't need a whole lot.

rjtfroggy
05-14-2010, 10:00 AM
If you reread his post he is crushing or rolling the neck when seating bullets.From what I read he needs to set his seating die back a turn or more so the neck does not crush.Usually too much lube will do this when resizing not seating.

Blue Avenger
05-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Yep, that is why I asked if the case looked good before seating. Assumed they did. also need to know what die he is using to give correct set up.

EFBell
05-14-2010, 10:41 AM
"Doh" moment....

Blue Avenger
05-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Ya Homer, I had the same first thought and almost followed it If not for a lucid moment in my day. :)

Peter_Kirch
05-14-2010, 01:23 PM
...man i suppose i could read a little closer. Here I was rushing through posts before heading off to work.
*note to self, don't rush*

rjtfroggy
05-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Not trying to be sarcastic guys. I would just hate to send him off in wrong direction trying to correct to many things at once.

Peter_Kirch
05-14-2010, 01:45 PM
no I completely understand now that I re-read it. I too had a "doh" moment. My mind was just waking up this morning and I saw bumps in the neck and thought "oh too much lube."
Looking at what he is saying I have two questions

Cowboy:

1) does the brass come out of the sizer with the deformation
2) if you seat a bullet only lightly pushing down on the ram can you feel it increase resistance?
When seating you shouldn't need to use much pressure if you are not crimping.

here's a video on how to setup the seater die...assuming you are using lee.
http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/videos/Rifle/rifle%20seat-1.wmv.

DGD6MM
05-15-2010, 12:39 PM
By rereading the post I'd have to agree on the bullet seating crush part. Please disregard my post as it is in the wrong direction, Also a picture is worth - well you know. :D

cowboyarcher
05-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Should have included some more info, and sorry for my absence these last few days!

I am using an RCBS Rockchuker Kit, and all tools, dies, etc. are from them

I used a lube pad, rather than spray on lube if it matters.

I'll get some pics up directly. And thanks guys!

cowboyarcher
05-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Here ya go fellas:

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/cowboyarcher/100_4517.jpg

The top two cases are the ones as described, the bottom holds a 135grn SMK that has no powder in it, came strait from the tumbler and into the seating die, used as a dummy, so this dummy could see what was going on before seating on top of powder.

Anyhow, notice also the ring at the very end of the case, is that the crimper?

Thanks again fellas,

Adam

EFBell
05-15-2010, 06:11 PM
looks like you hit the crimp portion of the die. Just screw it out a couple turns and lock it down. Reset the seating depth to your dummie and you should be fine. I used to gauge off of a factory load back in the day before I had all the tools.

rjtfroggy
05-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Cowboyarcher I'll stick with the advice I gave ealier, screw the die down onto the shell holder then back off at least one full turn, champher and deburr the case necks, you should be good to go

NRV
05-16-2010, 07:09 AM
Hey Adam,

It does look as though you are hitting the crimp ring during the seating process. I for one, don't seat and crimp in one step. On rounds that I will crimp, I buy a Lee crimp die. Actually my Forster and Redding seaters won't crimp any way.

If you set the crimp off that dummy case that wasn't full length sized, the distance that you found will be too short. After you have sized the cases the can grow a fair amount, especially if you are shooting a factory chamber.

Just another idea,
Michael