PDA

View Full Version : Interchangeable bolt heads on Target Action?

Romeyo
09-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Folks!

I'm about getting a new savage action because of it's flexibility (easy changable barrel and bolt head) and reputation.
I'm most interested in Savage's target action, however a local dealer told me that bolt heads are not interchangeable on Savage's target actions. Is that true? ???

Thanks in advance!

First I wanted to contact Savage itself, but they seem not to answer any e-mails...picking up the phone would be quite expensive for me, so I decided to try it here first...

regards

northlander
09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Romeyo,
That is not correct. The Savage Target Actions use the same bolt heads as the rest of the product line. You can switch them as you wish as long as you headspace your barrels. The .532 Bolt heads are a tad thicker and you will need to replace the firing pins to get a longer reach as required.

Jim Briggs
NSS

pdog06
09-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Sounds like the local dealer just wanted to sell you 2 guns.

Don - LongRangeSupply
09-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Just remember to get the correct ejection setup for left hand port actions.

If you don't use an ejector then a right hand bolt head will work fine. I prefer to pluck the case off the bolt face on single shots so I remove the ejectors.

Romeyo
09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Hey guys! Thanks! That sounds quite good! :)

@Jim Briggs

Would switchching .223 and .308 bolt heads would need any modifications? (apart from mag and barrel...)

@pdog06

No idea. The dealer I've been recommended told me that, but also told me that that info was according to another dealer. Seems like he does't know himself...

@$0,99/gallon gas

Well, I'm planning on milling a slot trough the bottom of the action so it can be fed by single stack mags. The whole thing will be the heart of a tube gun. Does this sound like an bad idea? I thought even with the slot in the bottom it would have much more "flesh" than a standard savage action...
Calibers will be 6,5-08 (.260rem) and .300/221 fireball

regards

pdog06
09-15-2009, 04:12 PM
they do make a target action with a detachable magbox. And SSS and a couple othe rplaces sell Hi-cap mags also. Dont know if that'll help you out any.

Romeyo
09-15-2009, 04:33 PM
they do make a target action with a detachable magbox. And SSS and a couple othe rplaces sell Hi-cap mags also. Dont know if that'll help you out any.

I think it's called the "Varmint" action, may that be possible?
The "problem" is, the dealer I contacted has that target action (right/right) in stock, and I can't tell how long shipping/importing from the United States would take... I don't mind a little work, I would do it myself (i'm studying precision engineering), so costs wouldn't matter.
The main problem is that next year gun laws are going to get a little stricter in Austria, so I'm running out of time a little. Thats also why I want the most flexible rifle system.

regards