PDA

View Full Version : Stripped the Head Of My 6-48 EGW Rail Screw

BigDave
03-26-2015, 06:55 AM
This was at about 18 inch lbs. The other 3 screws seem fine. I took those to 20 inch lbs but they showed signs of some distress in the torx cavity. I dont think they were EGW screws. Maybe. IDK. They were definitely Savage factory OEM. Of that I am certain. I have run across stuff like this al the time. I usually drill and tap for a larger, stronger fastener. Works every time.

One option is if someone can source me USA made Grade 8 T-10 6-48 Weaver style oval screws. Weird. EGW makes a Picatinny rail but used the old style Weaver screws instead of much more prevalent filister head screws.

I used a German made T-10 bit in my new, calibrated Fat Wrench. The Wheeler Fat Wrench kit does not supply a T-10 torx BTW. I was VERY careful. I was standing over my 10 FCP-SR that was very well secured in a Tipton's Best Gun rest. My rifle and gun rest never slid or moved at all. The torx head cavity of the screw opened up like butter shy of 20 inch lbs. The German torx bit looks perfect. It fit perfectly in the one screw head that stripped out.

They are Savage OEM 6-48 X 1/4 oval Weaver type conical screws likely made in China. I can NOT find these in Grade 8 anywhere. I can not find them made in the USA.

My issue is not with the screw strength or diameter, but with the teeny tiny T-10 torx cavity. I feel like I am working on a Smart Phone! I want to upgrade to a screw that takes a T-15. I simply dont trust the T-10. I BARELY was able to remove it with out an expensive trip to a machine shop. I was not thrilled to take a hammer to my bit driver (not the Fat Wrench) jar the screw loose. It was this close needing to be drilled out!

Edit:
Next day..problem soleved.
My neighborhood hardware store just started carrying gun and gun optic screws two weeks ago. I was pretty surprised when I was able to find 6-48 T-10 screws with the Weaver style taper. They are 3/8 inch long BTW, not 1/4". Tempered, hardened steel, blued, not black oxide. USA made? IDK. They did not have that info, so probably not. But, they appear to be much nicer my OEM rail screws. I bought five at 69 cents each.

I just got off the phone with Ken Farrel. He has custom made in USA (Illinois) screws made in 6-48 that will not break until 50 inch lbs is reached. They take the larger T-15 torx bit which I like. The screw head taper is custom made to match the the holes in his rails.
When I get his 20 MOA rail I will not need to enlarge the holes in my action to accept 8-40 screws. I will be quite pleased with his 6-48's by the sounds of things. I will ask for spare screws in case I ever loose/drop one.
What a REALLY nice guy! He was amazingly helpful. I am definitely a fan.
In the mean time I will replace all the OEM rail screws and re fit my O MOA EGW rail to my action.

Rosco
03-27-2015, 10:44 PM
Glad you got your problem resolved!! Had the exact same issue myself with one of the EGW screws and had to extract it and did not have a replacement. These are expensive but have been solid on my 7mm-08, and may even be made is the good ole USA.

https://www.triadtactical.com/Badger-Replacement-Screw-Set.html