PDA

View Full Version : 116 wsm to .473 bolt face

blackdiesel
03-24-2015, 01:49 AM
I have a model 16 chambered in .300 wsm that I'd like to rebarrel into a caliber in the 308 family. What is needed do be done to the extractor to do this? Pardon my ignorance, please.

Hotolds442
03-24-2015, 08:46 AM
You'll need a new bolt head in .473(308 family). You'll also need a shorter firing pin if yours is the non-adjustable type. If your rifle is a controlled round feed action, transfer the extractor, ball, and spring from the old bolt head to the new one. Remove the standing ejector from the receiver and install a new ejector, spring, and retaining pin into the new bolt head. If your action is a push feed, just transfer all of the parts from the old bolt head to the new one. If you have the adjustable firing pin, you'd just need to adjust the firing pin protrusion due to the thinner lugs on the new bolt head.

blackdiesel
03-24-2015, 03:08 PM
Thank you! After a quick Google search for descriptions, I determined I have a push feed, which contradicts what the literature sources say. It's stated the wsm and rum have controlled feeds.

strut64
03-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Call northaland shooters supply and talk to Jim. He seems to be very knowlegable Also There is an outfit called Gunshack that should have what you will need.

Hotolds442
03-24-2015, 11:49 PM
Thank you! After a quick Google search for descriptions, I determined I have a push feed, which contradicts what the literature sources say. It's stated the wsm and rum have controlled feeds.
They had controlled feed until Savage developed the center feed magazine. At that point, feeding was improved and the need for controlled round feeding was not necessary.