PDA

View Full Version : 6br excessive throat length in a new McGowen? Pics

MDM
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm done with my first build - 6BR. Everything is assembled and and I'm checking my COAL for my chamber. I keep get a measurement of 2.385 as my max COAL for the 107 SMK's I wanted to use. Is this excessive throat length? See the pic to see how far the bullet is seated to touch the lands. Doesn't seem like much bullet in the neck, but this is my first, so I really don't know.
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h270/dm2596/photo-2.jpg

possum1
05-12-2010, 01:29 PM
look's to me you got plenty in the neck.

Nor Cal Mikie
05-12-2010, 01:31 PM
Looks to me like you've got a pretty good neck contact with that bullet.
You might run into a problem if you switch to a flat base bullet but then again you might be surprised at the accuracy. I've had bullets that looked like they would fall out of the case because the throat was long and I had set them at a jam but they still produced bug holes. Go shoot that sucker and see what it will do. ;)

Blue Avenger
05-12-2010, 07:59 PM
rough idea... dia should = depth
that said everything is variable. as long as you have enough in that they stay in and do not tilt when your trying to load them in the gun

canman
05-12-2010, 08:11 PM
It looks almost perfect to me.

Joe

Nor Cal Mikie
05-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Bottom line is, if it shoots bug holes, you're good to go. I would rather have a little shorter distance to the lands and be able to chase them as the throat gets longer. Trigger time will tell for sure. ;)

MDM
05-12-2010, 08:51 PM
rough idea... dia should = depth
that said everything is variable. as long as you have enough in that they stay in and do not tilt when your trying to load them in the gun

That is about what I will have if I jump them 20 thousands. That is where I'm going to start. Thanks for the help. I want to post pics of the rifle, since it is my first build, but I'm waiting on SSS bolt handle. Don't want to post pics until it's in it's final configuration. Range day on Saturday, can't wait to she how it shoots.

drybean
05-12-2010, 09:02 PM
looks like you are ready to run
let us know
drybean

Tbob
05-12-2010, 09:24 PM
That's about perfect. The base of the bullet is just below the neck/shoulder junction with a .020" jump. If it seats any deeper in the case you will be taking up space for powder. Shoot it and post back how it performs........