PDA

View Full Version : Scope issues.

Noobshooter84
03-23-2015, 02:25 AM
Got my Axis XP II with the scope package a couple weeks ago. Put 10 rounds through. No issues. Took it out today and the scope wasn't even dialed in like Turners said. So after 20 rounds...... Yeah it took that many to even start dialing it in. Finally got it dialed in. Right as I was grouping it down to just 2 inches. The scoped with rings popped right off. Put it back on. Tightened everything down and had to start at 6 inches. Put a few rounds in. Back down to 2-4 inches. Few more rounds. The scope popped off again. All screws were tight when it came off. The scope is damaged from falling off the table. Anyone have suggestions on what to do? Personally I think Savage went cheap with these Rings.

DrThunder88
03-23-2015, 03:59 AM
I don't think you're going to find any argument here about the rings being cheap. They certainly are, but leaving the mounts (which is what I understand "popped off" to mean) strikes me as a new phenomenon.

The first possible explanation that springs to mind is perhaps the rings were not fully seated on the mounts. It is possible for Weaver rings to tighten without the cross bolt actually running through the grooves in the mount. My response to this would be to loosen the screws holding the scope in place and, with the rings moving independently, verify that they both seat on their respective mounts before tightening the cross bolts and then re-tightening the other screws.

When you say all the screws were tight after it popped off, does that also mean the cross bolt was bottomed out against both the clamping element and the bottom of the ring? If so, that would indicate something is out of spec. Get your dial calipers and measure the maximum width of the mounts from edge to edge. Then crank the ring's cross bolt down tight against the clamping element and ring body and measure the corresponding distance under the ring. You can look up the specs for a Weaver rail online if you like, but if the maximum mount measurement is smaller than the minimum ring measurement, then you've got a problem irrespective of the actual specs. Either way, it should be taken up with the retailer or factory.

Robinhood
03-23-2015, 08:35 AM
Buy a set of name brand rings like Burris, or Leupold etc...ask an experienced rifleman. Buy a mid level scope or better from any Japanese, American or European manufacturer. Be prepared to have 200 plus into the combo at the very minimum. The admin on the forum recommends the economic Redfield Revenge I think is the model. Get some experienced help at the range mounting everything. Do not gorilla tighten anything on a scope. Did I mention get some experienced help?

Noobshooter84
03-23-2015, 07:28 PM
I called Savage today. They want me to call back with the serial number and will send out a new set up. Thank guys.

Robinhood
03-24-2015, 12:46 AM
They want me to call back with the serial number and will send out a new set up. Thank guys.
...and deja vu

Noobshooter84
03-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Robinhood same issue?

pickerandsinger
03-24-2015, 04:55 PM
Axis II Wifes Muddy Girl….Rings were loose, scope moved ….

Robinhood
03-25-2015, 12:23 AM
Robinhood same issue?

This plays out time and time again. Next time you have trouble spend the money.

Noobshooter84
03-25-2015, 03:23 AM
Well my brother in law gave me a good set of rings that look to mount better. He also gave me 2 scopes.

DrThunder88
03-25-2015, 01:09 PM
Heck of a brother-in-law! Does he have a sister? I mean another one?

Noobshooter84
03-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Yeah he Gave me a Nikko Sterling 6-24X44 illuminated.