PDA

View Full Version : Hard primers?

243LPR
03-21-2015, 03:54 PM
I recently started shooting a Glock 20 and have fired nothing but my loads out of it. When it was box stock it ran fine but since i put a spring kit in the slide and a new connector I had 4 failures to fire and the trigger failed to reset once.. I am using WLP primers and wondering if there is a different primer I could use that would work with the reduced power firing pin spring? I really like the trigger pull now and would hate to go back to the factory 5.5# springs. This will not be a carry gun,mainly range and maybe hunting. It's my first Glock and so far I'm impressed with the accuracy and how it handles the 10mm round. Any suggestions?

Robinhood
03-21-2015, 11:12 PM
The Winchester primers are about the softest if I'm not mistaken. Are you getting light primer strikes?

243LPR
03-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Yes. They'll go off the second time they're chambered.

Rick_W
03-22-2015, 12:59 PM
I shoot a lot of Cowboy Action Shooting and the vast majority of the guns used have lighter springs.

The overall consensus among most reloaders is the Federal small pistol primers are the easiest to set off with the lighter springs (IIRC).

What are you using to prime the cartridges?

It almost sounds to me like they are not fully seated - the first strike of the firing pin seats the primer and then the second strike sets it off.

Robinhood
03-22-2015, 01:13 PM
It almost sounds to me like they are not fully seated - the first strike of the firing pin seats the primer and then the second strike sets it off.
Look into this. I also use federal pistol primers, large and small and have never had a problem.

243LPR
03-22-2015, 03:42 PM
I'm loading on a Dillon 550 and have never had a problem with the thousands of 9,40 or 45 I've loaded over the years. I guess anything's possible.None of my other guns have aftermarket springs in them though.I loaded some with CCI's and all OK with them. Had a couple WLP's fail to fire again today. This is also virgin star line brass so no residue in the pockets. Guess I'll put the factory spring back in until I can pick up some Federals to try. I was surprised though that the CCI load made one ragged hole at 15yds compared to the WLP load. Thanx for the help so far.

BillPa
03-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Guess I'll put the factory spring back in until I can pick up some Federals to try.

Hey, when you get a chance swing by my house, I have a full box of Fed LPPs you can have to try. I don't need them, in fact I have no idea when, where or why I got them. They're yours if want them.

Bill

243LPR
03-22-2015, 06:02 PM
I'll do that,thanx Bill.