PDA

View Full Version : Should the rear tang float?

Texas10
03-21-2015, 07:58 AM
I was checking the barrel to stock clearance on my BVSS the other day as suggested on this forum, when I noticed that the rear tang is hard against the stock. I seem to remember it being said that the rear tang should be free floated. Should I relieve the stock to get clearance? I have definitely noticed that rear action screw torque has a huge effect on accuracy on this gun, an indication to me that the stock is bearing upon the action in a way not favorable to accuracy. What would you guys suggest I do, if anything?

As always, thank you for any help and sharing the wealth of knowledge you guys have.

jonbearman
03-21-2015, 11:33 AM
I free float them all in the back. I had a f-class and it was bedded in the backe bedding compound and the rifle shot much better. There are some who think it makes no difference but for me it did. Maybe sharpshooter can chime in and explain in more depth why it makes a difference. My feeling is the rear screw isn't actually at the rear and when the tang is touching you are actually distorting the receiver when it is torqued into place.

WinnieTheBoom
03-21-2015, 12:37 PM
I think I read somewhere that this was actually an accident by Savage and it ended up shooting better when it was free floated, so yes I would say it should be or as ^^ said, just bed it and be done with it.

sharpshooter
03-21-2015, 07:43 PM
There was no accident to it. The fact is that the rear anchor point for the receiver is in front of the tang, and since there is no screw in the tang it self, it doesn't need support. It doesn't necessarily need to be floated, just not stressed to a great degree. You will find that a Savage receiver is the most forgiving when it comes to bedding and handling stress.
I find it humorous when someone can't get a business card under their tang and blame their 6 inch groups on that.