PDA

View Full Version : Front action screw

MillerPI2142
03-20-2015, 04:58 PM
Anybody ever had theirs come out? Mine recently came out of my Boyd's stock so I'm waiting for my new one to arrive from Savage- it's shipping out Monday.

Spent all day running to different stores and finally found a gunsmith that had a Savage action screw. He trimmed it for me but it was still a little long. Tried adjusting torques on the action screws and got it to where the bolt action was smoothe. Tested to see if it would cycle a round- bolt wouldn't close, cartridge wouldn't eject, and luckily I was able to tap the buttstock on the ground and it came right out.

Guess I'm waiting for the new screw to show up.

So much for my range day tomorrow. :(

foxx
03-20-2015, 07:37 PM
Just grind or file the one you have down a bit until it is short enough to not interfere. Any screw with the correct threads will work fine if it is not too long.

MillerPI2142
03-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Think that would cause the issue with not cycling the fired shell?

foxx
03-20-2015, 08:30 PM
If the bolt will close on an empty chamber but not on a chamber with a cartridge or fired case in it then rhe problem is likely a bad extractor. Would need to replace it. But I doubt that's the problem. FAQ's may have an article about that. The kits are about $10 from factory.

foxx
03-20-2015, 08:36 PM
Or you have some crud in the chamberpreventing the cartrdge from chambering all the way. I doubt that as well. Just grind a bit off the screw and see what happens. Cant hurt anything. Especially when you have another one on its way.

MillerPI2142
03-20-2015, 08:56 PM
10-4. I should also mention that the stock is a Boyds thumbhole. I don't know if that matters or not.

foxx
03-20-2015, 09:24 PM
Nope. But b/c I do a lot of stock swapping I just bought a bunch of black tapered head screws from a screw store and keep them on hand and cut and grind to fit as necessary. Different stocks will sometimes need different length screws.

I re-read my own post.... "screw store" LOL
It actually was a screw store. "MidStates Bolt and Screw"