PDA

View Full Version : Short COAL Readings

H4350
03-19-2015, 09:41 PM
I bought a new Savage 10 Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. I am using the Hornady OAL gauge to find out where the bullet contacts the lands. The bullet I am using is the 140 gr Hornady Amax.

I am getting some pretty short readings, from the Ogive I am getting 2.055. OAL is about 2.67 but I didn't get an exact measurment because I had the Ogive comparator on.

I have only reloaded for my Remington .243 and it likes to be loaded pretty long about 2.7 OAL.

Is this normal for Savage rifles or am I doing something wrong?

MS50
03-19-2015, 10:56 PM
The reloading knowledge I have is based on what I learned loading for Savage models 10,11 and 12. I use the Hornady OAL gauge to arrive at my lengths, and use the comparator to measure to the ogive. I recently acquired an older Rem 700 that I worked up a 110gr VMAX load for in 308. The OAL numbers I came up with were in my experience extremely long. Using these numbers, very little of the bullet would be seated in the neck if I were to use my usual .010 off the lands distance. I am accustomed to seating the bullet deeper in the neck. I've also read that it's advisable to seat at least a bullets diameter into the neck. I searched the net and found a couple of sources that stated that Remingtons are throated long compared to other makes. I put a question out on this forum. An experienced reloader advised that I ignore the practice of seating a bullets diameter into the neck. He also advised that the longer jump to the lands is not a problem. My 110gr VMAX loads are .150 off the lands. I've fired them without problems. The point of all this is that I discovered that the Remington gave me longer readings on the OAL gauge. You might have found that the Savage gives you shorter readings.

H4350
03-19-2015, 11:32 PM
The reloading knowledge I have is based on what I learned loading for Savage models 10,11 and 12. I use the Hornady OAL gauge to arrive at my lengths, and use the comparator to measure to the ogive. I recently acquired an older Rem 700 that I worked up a 110gr VMAX load for in 308. The OAL numbers I came up with were in my experience extremely long. Using these numbers, very little of the bullet would be seated in the neck if I were to use my usual .010 off the lands distance. I am accustomed to seating the bullet deeper in the neck. I've also read that it's advisable to seat at least a bullets diameter into the neck. I searched the net and found a couple of sources that stated that Remingtons are throated long compared to other makes. I put a question out on this forum. An experienced reloader advised that I ignore the practice of seating a bullets diameter into the neck. He also advised that the longer jump to the lands is not a problem. My 110gr VMAX loads are .150 off the lands. I've fired them without problems. The point of all this is that I discovered that the Remington gave me longer readings on the OAL gauge. You might have found that the Savage gives you shorter readings.

Thanks, this helps a lot. I just want to make sure I am not screwing up or doing anything dangerous. Sounds like different guns have different lengths.

Smokin Hole
03-26-2015, 08:16 PM
Had a similar problem with a new 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. Used a 140gr Amax in my Hornady OAL gauge and was measuring around 2.70", which isn't anywhere near the factory Hornady 140gr Amax OAL of 2.81". Tried chambering a factory Hornady round and noticed marking on the bullet and some setback as well. Needless to say, the rounds were hard to chamber/eject. Couldn't visually see any issues in the chamber, but it obviously wasn't right. Didn't fire any rounds and called Savage customer service. They were very helpful, but didn't sound all that surprised with the issue. Door to door was a two week turn. Service tag says they removed burrs and reamed a "tight chamber". Rounds cycle as they should after the fix. I'd suggest you consider calling Savage too for their opinion on what you are seeing with your rifle.