PDA

View Full Version : Headspacing my new barrel.

MDM
05-11-2010, 07:39 PM
I got my new 6br barrel in today and have put the barrel on the action. I have the headspace set so the bolt closes on the Go gauge, but it takes a little effort to close the bolt. I have only hand tightened the barrel nut as much as I can. I wanted my headspace tight so my brass doesn't move much, but I don't know if this is too tight. A FL sized case, loaded round goes into the chamber and the bolt closes with minimal effort like it should. What do you all think?

Cycler
05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
A FL sized case, loaded round goes into the chamber and the bolt closes with minimal effort like it should. What do you all think?

If the bolt closes on a full length sized round, you should be fine.

MDM
05-11-2010, 08:13 PM
I think the bolt may be closing too hard on the go gauge. As I said, the nut was just hand tight with me holding the barrel in hand and my wife tightening the nut. I think if I put the barrel in vise blocks, and snug the nut down with a little more torque, the threads will stretch a bit more and give me the little bit I need for the go gauge to chamber with less effort.

EFBell
05-11-2010, 08:17 PM
I think the bolt may be closing too hard on the go gauge. As I said, the nut was just hand tight with me holding the barrel in hand and my wife tightening the nut. I think if I put the barrel in vise blocks, and snug the nut down with a little more torque, the threads will stretch a bit more and give me the little bit I need for the go gauge to chamber with less effort.

It will.