PDA

View Full Version : New 10 FCP-K and the bolt won't close!!!!!

SLIDER-in-KY
03-18-2015, 11:47 PM
I bought a new Savage 10 FCP-K in .308 back in January. Between the weather and work, I have not had a chance to shoot it. Last Sunday, the weather was nice, so I decided to head to the range. As I was placing the rifle in the case, getting ready to leave the house, I noticed that the bolt was only closed halfway. I tried for 20 minutes to get the bolt closed and it will not shut!!! This gun has never even had a round in the chamber!!! I really don't want to have to send it back to Savage. Any ideas what might be causing the problem? I also noticed that the front scope base screw hole is not drilled all the way through. I couldn't get the front base screw seated fully!

foxx
03-19-2015, 12:12 AM
There's a chance the front action screw is too log and it is blocking the bolt head from going all the way forward to the chamber. Or, same idea with one of the front scope base screws.

bootsmcguire
03-19-2015, 12:18 AM
I'm with foxx. the front action screw is most likely too long and binding the bolt. Back it out and see if the bolt closes properly. If it does, just file a thread's worth of length off the end of the screw and try again. If backing out the screw does not help, you might try removing your scope base screws on the front mount. If they are too long it could cause the same problem, but that would have to be a pretty long base screw.

The front base screw hole is drilled through, what you are seeing is the barrel where it threads into the action. Some brands of bases come with screws that are too long. Do the same thing to it and you should be fine.

foxx
03-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Looking at your post again...

If one of your base screws won't seat fully, it is b/c it is too long and hitting the barrel, as Boots said. The one that did seat fully (the rear screw of the front base, I bet) is the screw that's keeping your bolt from closing. Grind those screws shorter (probably quite a bit shorter) as boots said and it will be fine.

short round
03-19-2015, 12:55 AM
Could be the rear baffle is out of position. It is in front of the bolt handle, give it a twist & it will snap into place. Could also be decocked, check round piece in front of baffle it should be at the bottom of the cocking ramp.

SLIDER-in-KY
03-19-2015, 01:04 AM
I removed both action screws and the bolt still wouldn't close with the screws completely removed. From what you guys are saying, it's really sounding like the scope base screws may be too long. Baffle is placed correctly. The decocker button is in the right position. (I know this because I moved it earlier and almost never got it back down!!) I'll take the base screws off in the morning and see how it goes. Thanks for the help so far!!

foxx
03-19-2015, 06:57 AM
Also, the bolt must be cocked when inserting into the action.

SLIDER-in-KY
03-19-2015, 11:19 AM
Wow! Thanks for the help guys!!! I removed the scope and then removed the two front screws in the base. The bolt closed perfectly! I just happened to have several sets of mounts still in the package (bought a box full of them from a gun shop that was closing down). I found two shorter screws that worked perfectly. Now, to re-mount the scope (Vortex Crossfire II 6x18x44) and have some fun with this rifle. Thanks again for all the help!!

bootsmcguire
03-20-2015, 12:20 AM
Glad she is up and running. Those pesky long base screws have been a thorn in many a Savage builders' side once or twice.

foxx
03-20-2015, 09:14 AM
and let us know how it shoots and how you like the scope.

SLIDER-in-KY
03-20-2015, 01:01 PM
and let us know how it shoots and how you like the scope.
I certainly will! Looks like Tuesday will be the soonest I can take it out. I'll post results!

Fotheringill
03-20-2015, 02:30 PM
Glad to hear the "panic" is gone.

I had the same problem with a rear action screw on a CZ.