PDA

View Full Version : 20 MOA rail that is NOT extended?

Matno
03-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Why is it that so many of the 20 MOA rails for the savage short action extend beyond the front mounting screws? Most of the pictures I see of them mounted on rifles do not have the scope rings mounted that far forward, and the rail looks silly just sticking out in front. Are there any 20 MOA rails that fit just TO the mounting screws that aren't over $100? I can't imagine that the quality of a $35 Weaver base would be seriously lacking.
On the other hand, the NightForce two piece 20 moa bases are very tempting from an aesthetic point of view. Are they good enough for long-range precision work?

D.ID
03-18-2015, 01:27 AM
I won't run two piece bases so I can't say on the NF base but would expect it to be adequate if your guns drilled straight.
As far as the "extended" bases......even the long actions all hang two lugs off the front just to annoy me and interfere with "low mounting" large objective scopes.
I just cut them off with a chop saw before I even think about mounting them.

darkker
03-18-2015, 01:29 AM
1) Are there any 20 MOA rails that fit just TO the mounting screws that aren't over $100?
2) On the other hand, the NightForce.... Are they good enough for long-range precision work?

Weapin jebus!

1) yes, look at EGW as simply 1 example.
2) "good enough"???!!! Are you good enough? I have two rifles I shoot to a mile. One I shimmed the base rail with tinfoil to get enough elevation in the scope. It looks funny with un-manicured tinfoil under the back of the rail, it also functions flawlessly. Is that "good enough"? For me it is, some may be more vain.

RatMag
03-18-2015, 10:10 AM
I just cut them off with a chop saw before I even think about mounting them.
^^^^THIS!!

My last set of rings and base I didn't cut off. I went with the medium Seekins with my XLR chassis, and everything is working just fine. However, when I get back into my Manners MCS-T stock in about 6 months, I am pretty sure that I will be going back to the low Seekins, so I will be cutting off the front of the rail again. If it looks silly... by all means, cut it off!!

DK

Matno
03-18-2015, 02:27 PM
Weapin jebus!

1) yes, look at EGW as simply 1 example.
2) "good enough"???!!! Are you good enough? I have two rifles I shoot to a mile. One I shimmed the base rail with tinfoil to get enough elevation in the scope. It looks funny with un-manicured tinfoil under the back of the rail, it also functions flawlessly. Is that "good enough"? For me it is, some may be more vain.

I can't imagine they're not "good enough" but some people seem to think that the Savage action is not as stiff as it could be and that a full length rail adds rigidity that two-piece mounts don't. Is that really going to affect accuracy? I am going for "benchrest" accuracy with this particular build, so if it makes a difference, I'll use a rail, but I think they're fugly.

I'm definitely not worried about having high dollar solutions. Heck, my Model 70 in 300 win mag has a plastic bread bag tab as a spacer around the front action screw instead of free floating the forearm. I also used part of a soda can to shim the heavy barrel on my 10/22...

Mach2
03-18-2015, 02:37 PM
The extended length rails are tactical crapola.

darkker
03-19-2015, 01:48 AM
but some people seem to think that the Savage action is not as stiff as it could be

Yes, well some people called conquistadors also said to the Mexican folks they came in peace, in the name of the lawd.... We know how that deal turned out.

Here is an example how "flimsy" the stock Acton is:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php

GaCop
03-19-2015, 08:23 AM
Yes, well some people called conquistadors also said to the Mexican folks they came in peace, in the name of the lawd.... We know how that deal turned out.

Here is an example how "flimsy" the stock Acton is:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/shooting-223-mile-1.php Great article on shooting the 223 Rem out to a mile AND using a Savage in an Ultimate Varmint stock!

You-Two
03-21-2015, 12:29 PM
I just cut the front few slots off the Weaver 20 MOA bases I use on two Savage rifles. Hacksaw, file, and flat black paint. Not going to win any design awards, but works great and let's me mount the scope lower.

WinnieTheBoom
03-21-2015, 12:36 PM
The extended length rails are tactical crapola.

Maybe so but I'll trust a "tactical crapola" Nightforce 20 MOA base before I trust a $35 Weaver base. That's just me.

OP, get the NF and be done with it. How come you don't want the extended one anyway? Looks? Mine doesn't have any issues of interference or anything like that with the objective lens.

Matno
03-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Maybe so but I'll trust a "tactical crapola" Nightforce 20 MOA base before I trust a $35 Weaver base. That's just me.

OP, get the NF and be done with it. How come you don't want the extended one anyway? Looks? Mine doesn't have any issues of interference or anything like that with the objective lens.

I'll freely admit it's all about looks. Clearance might be an issue too, as I plan to mount a 50mm objective as low as possible. But it's mostly about the look. Personally I think picatinny rails look ridiculous on a bolt action rifle. The extended ones are even worse. Weaver actually makes a nice smooth rail with couple of slots on each end that would look a lot better (and it's not extended), but it's not available in a 20 MOA version, as far as I can tell. The NF is probably my best bet, I'm just hesitant because I'm unsure if a two piece rail really will affect stiffness. This is going to be my long range gun, and I'll tinker with it until I get it sub half MOA.

I have NightForce and Aadmount bases on 2 other rifles, and they're fantastic. I just don't know if they're necessary.

WinnieTheBoom
03-21-2015, 01:07 PM
If you're gonna do the 2 piece base from NF that's fine, just make sure you lap the rings to make sure that they're properly aligned. Because at that point you'll be playing with 2 areas of potential adjustment issues (base & rings) rather than just one. As long as you stick to a quality manufacture you will be fine - if this is you're long range gun I would try to put the looks aside and just get a quality one piece base, even if that means you have to get an extended one. In all honesty you could probably cut it down to your heart's content, but I don't mind it at all.

Not a great picture of the rail but that's all I have at the moment:
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h475/Garrett_Nesbitt/DSC_1398_zps1nx9hrn5.jpg (http://s1111.photobucket.com/user/Garrett_Nesbitt/media/DSC_1398_zps1nx9hrn5.jpg.html)

Matno
03-21-2015, 02:07 PM
is that an extra high rail? Those look like low rings, but the scope is much higher than I would want.

TRIGGER643
03-21-2015, 03:15 PM
I've never been sold on 2 piece bases for precision shooting and prefer the perceived rigidity of a single piece base. That being said, over the years I've used a number of different bases from different makers ranging in price from $50 to $150.

For the last few years and half dozen rifles I've gone with Ken Farrell mounts and rings. Their design, fit, finish and tolerances are superb in every respect. Here is their 20MOA base for my 110

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj19/gcrookston/DSCN08511_zpsy7gufnln.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/user/gcrookston/media/DSCN08511_zpsy7gufnln.jpg.html)

WinnieTheBoom
03-21-2015, 04:04 PM
is that an extra high rail? Those look like low rings, but the scope is much higher than I would want.

Nope, NF 20moa base and Seekins Medium (.87") rings. I probably could have gone with low rings but I haven't tried it. Haven't had any problems with zeroing or keeping tight groups at any distance thus far.